Wild Rice Stuffing
Thanksgiving stuffing is transformed with wild rice and sweet sausage in this classic dish
- step-by-step directions
Wild Rice Stuffing
- 3 cups Wild Rice (cooked)
- Salt and freshly cracked Black Pepper
- Olive Oil
- 1 pound Sweet Italian Sausage (out of casing and crumbled)
- 1 large White Onion (small diced)
- 1 cup Carrots (small diced)
- 1 cup Celery (small diced)
- 2 tablespoons Thyme (leaves picked)
- 1 stick of Butter (melted)
- 8 cups Day-Old White Bread (cut into 1/2 inch cubes; toast if not stale)
- 2 cups Chicken Stock
- 1 Egg (beaten)
- Cook the wild rice, one part rice to three parts chicken stock. Season the stock with salt and pepper. Bring to a boil and reduce to a simmer. Cover and cook for about 45 minutes or until the rice bursts.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- Preheat a heavy bottomed saute pan over medium-high heat. Once hot, add about 3 tablespoons of olive oil and toss in the sausage. Let the sausage brown evenly, then remove with a slotted spoon to a small bowl.
- Add the onion, carrots, and celery to the pan. Season with salt and pepper and cook until the vegetables are soft but still have a bite. Add more olive oil to the pan if it seems dry. Stir in the thyme once the vegetables are cooked.
- Melt 1 stick of butter. In a large bowl, toss the day old bread with the butter. Season with salt and pepper. Add the wild rice and cooked sausage and toss to combine. Add the sauteed vegetables to the bowl.
- Slowly whisk in the warm chicken stock in to the beaten egg, and once combined, pour the egg mixture over the bread mixture. Toss with your hands to thoroughly combine.
- Make sure everything is evenly mixed and then transfer to a greased sheet tray. Place in the oven for 20-30 minutes, or until the stuffing is golden brown and crunchy on top. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Rock Shrimp and Egg Sandwich
Apple Tarte Tatin
Buttermilk Semifreddo with Candied Peaches
Cast-Iron Blueberry Cobbler
Green Chicken Enchiladas
Savory Breakfast Cauliflower Bake
Sausage Gravy and Bacon Biscuits
Italian Egg Boat
Waffle Pies with Herbed Eggs
Chai Tea Oatmeal