Fill your flaky pastry with one of two combinations: refreshing strawberry, or chocolate hazelnut and banana.
- step-by-step directions
- For the Strawberry Filling:
- 2 pounds Strawberries (hulled)
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 Lemon (zest and juice)
- 3 cups granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- For the Pastry Dough:
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 sticks unsalted butter (cut into cubes)
- 1 large egg
- 2 tablespoons evaporated milk
- 1 egg plus 1 tablespoon cream
- For the Chocolate Hazelnut and Banana Filling:
- 2 ripe bananas (cut in half crosswise)
- 1 cup chocolate hazelnut spread
- 1 tablespoon flakey sea salt
- For the Glaze:
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- For the strawberry filling: Pulse the strawberries in a food processor until the size of peas. In a small bowl, whisk to combine the cornstarch with the lemon juice. In a heavy bottomed pot, add the strawberries, sugar, lemon zest, cornstarch mixture and salt. Bring to a simmer over medium-high heat, then reduce heat to medium and cook for about 45 minutes, stirring frequently, until the jam is bright red and the consistency is thick. Set aside to cool.
- For the dough: In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, and salt. Add the butter and work in with your fingers, until pea-sized lumps of butter are still visible, and the mixture holds together when you squeeze it. In a medium bowl, whisk the egg and evaporated milk together and stir them into the dough, mixing just until everything comes together. Form into a ball. Divide the dough in half and shape each half into a smooth rectangle, about 3×5 inches (this can keep wrapped in the freezer if you're not using all the dough at once). Place one rectangle on a lightly floured work surface, and roll it out into a large rectangle (about 9" x 12") and about 1/8″ thick. Repeat with the second piece of dough.
- Cut each piece of dough into thirds to form nine 3″ x 4″ rectangles. Beat the additional egg and cream and brush it over the 9 rectangles. This will be the “inside” of the tart; the egg is to help glue the top on.
- Place a heaping tablespoon of strawberry filling into the center of each rectangle, keeping the 1/2-inch perimeter around it free of filling. Place a second rectangle of dough atop the first, using your fingertips to press firmly around the pocket of filling, sealing the dough well on all sides. Use the tines of a fork to crimp the edges. Brush tops with the egg wash. Repeat with remaining tarts.
- For the chocolate hazelnut-banana filling: Cut the bananas crosswise and then into lengthwise slices about 1/4-inch thick. Put the chocolate spread into a piping bag (or zip-top bag) and pipe about 1-2 tablespoons of the chocolate on to each base rectangle. Sprinkle with a large pinch of flaky salt. Press 2 banana pieces on top of the chocolate and then top with another rectangle of dough. Press down firmly, sealing the dough on all sides. Use a fork to crimp the edges. Gently place the tarts on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Prick the top of each tart multiple times with a fork.
- Refrigerate the tarts for 30 minutes.
- Preheat toaster oven or oven to 350°F.
- Remove the tarts from the refrigerator. Place them in the oven to bake for 20 to 25 minutes, until light golden brown. Remove to a cooling rack.
- Combine confectioner’s sugar, lemon juice & water. Drizzle over tarts and serve.
Coconut & Herb-Crusted Salmon with Mango-Avocado Salsa
Grilled Chicken Paillard with Spring Vegetable Ragout
Hot Italian Sausage Sandwich
Roasted Chicken with Boozy BBQ Sauce
Grilled German Potato Salad
Cleveland Baked Beans
Pea Pesto Pasta
Herbed Asparagus Frittata with Pea Shoot Salad
Striped Bass with Endive and Spring Onions
Vanilla Bean Creme Brulee