Fill your flaky pastry with one of two combinations: refreshing strawberry, or chocolate hazelnut and banana.
- For the Strawberry Filling:
- 2 pounds Strawberries (hulled)
- 1 tablespoon Cornstarch
- 1 Lemon (zest and juice; about 1/4 cup)
- 3 cups White Sugar (plus more if the berries aren't sweet)
- 2 teaspoons Salt
- For the Pastry Dough:
- 2 cups All-Purpose Flour
- 1 tablespoon Granulated Sugar
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 2 sticks Unsalted Butter (cut into cubes)
- 1 large Egg
- 2 tablespoons Evaporated Milk
- 1 Egg plus 1 tablespoon Cream
- For the Chocolate Hazelnut and Banana Filling:
- 2 ripe Bananas (cut in half crosswise)
- 1 cup Chocolate Hazelnut Spread
- 1 tablespoon Flaky Sea Salt
- For the Glaze:
- 1 cup Powdered Sugar
- 1 tablespoon Water
- 1 tablespoon Lemon Juice
- For the Strawberry Filling: Pulse the strawberries in a food processor until the size of peas. Whisk the cornstarch with the lemon juice. In a heavy bottomed pot, add the strawberries, sugar, lemon zest, cornstarch mixture and salt. Cook the strawberries over medium-high heat for about 45 minutes, stirring frequently, until the jam is bright red and the consistency is thick. Let cool before using.
- For the Pastry Dough: Whisk together the flour, sugar, and salt. Work in the butter with your fingers, until pea-sized lumps of butter are still visible, and the mixture holds together when you squeeze it. Whisk the egg and evaporated milk together and stir them into the dough, mixing just until everything comes together.
- Divide the dough in half and shape each half into a smooth rectangle, about 3×5 inches (this can keep wrapped in the freezer if you're not using all the dough at once).
- Place one rectangle on a lightly floured work surface, and roll it out into a large rectangle (about 9" x 12") and about 1/8″ thick. Repeat with the second piece of dough. Cut each piece of dough into thirds to form nine 3″ x 4″ rectangles.
- Beat the additional egg and cream and brush it over the 9 rectangles. This will be the “inside” of the tart; the egg is to help glue the top on.
- Place a heaping tablespoon of strawberry filling into the center of each rectangle, keeping the 1/2-inch perimeter around it free of filling. Place a second rectangle of dough atop the first, using your fingertips to press firmly around the pocket of filling, sealing the dough well on all sides. Use the tines of a fork to crimp the edges. Brush tops with the egg and cream mixture. Repeat with remaining tarts.
- For the Chocolate Hazelnut and Banana Filling: If making tarts with the chocolate hazelnut spread, first cut the bananas crosswise and then into lengthwise slices about 1/4-inch thick (they may need to be trimmed lengthwise to fit in the tart). Put the chocolate spread into a piping bag (or zip-top bag) and pipe about 1-2 tablespoons of the chocolate on to each base rectangle. Sprinkle with a large pinch of flaky salt. Press 2 banana pieces on top of the chocolate and then top with another rectangle of dough. Press down firmly, sealing the dough on all sides. Use a fork to crimp the edges.
- Gently place the tarts on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Prick the top of each tart multiple times with a fork. Refrigerate the tarts (they don’t need to be covered) for 30 minutes, while you preheat your toaster to 350°F.
- Remove the tarts from the fridge, and bake them for 20 to 25 minutes, until they are a light golden brown. Cool on a rack.
- For the Glaze: Combine the powdered sugar, lemon juice, and water. Drizzle over the tarts, are serve.