Another hit from the Food Factory!
Clinton and Carla's Fresh Tomato Sauce with Zucchini Papardelle
- 12 tomatoes
- 1 onion (diced)
- 2 cloves garlic (sliced)
- crushed red pepper flakes (to taste)
- 4 medium zucchini
- 1/4 cup olive oil (separated)
- salt and freshly ground pepper (to taste)
- 1/2 cup basil (leaves only - roughly torn)
- Using a vegetable peeler to shave the zucchini into long ribbons. Toss the ribbons with olive oil.
- In a large sauté pan over medium heat, add 2 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil, and add the ribbons of zucchini. Season with salt and pepper and sauté til tender.
- Bring a large salted pot of water to a boil. Core it, then score the skin of each of the tomatoes with an "X" on the bottom. Blanche the tomatoes for 15 seconds, and then immediately transfer to an ice bath. Drain, blot dry, and peel the skin off of the tomatoes. Run each of the tomatoes through a food mill (or processor) into a bowl and reserve.
- In another large sauté pan over medium heat, add remaining 2 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil, and sweat the onion, about 2 minutes. Add a pinch of salt, and then add the garlic to the pan. Cook until fragrant, about a minute. Add the tomatoes and stir together. Cook the tomatoes down, about 10 minutes, and check the seasonings. Add red pepper flakes. Adjust if necessary, then finish the sauce with the freshly torn basil.
- When ready to serve, add the tomato sauce to the zucchini pan and toss to coat.