Orange Cake with Citrus Filling
Carla Hall's Triple Orange Cake
- 2 cups Cake Flour (aerated then spooned into measuring cup)
- 1 1/2 cups Granulated Sugar
- 1 tablespoon Baking Powder
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 1/3 cup Vegetable or Canola Oil
- 4 tablespoons Unsalted Butter
- 2 Eggs
- 3 Egg Yolks
- 1/3 cup Orange Juice
- 1 tablespoon Orange Zest
- 3 tablespoons Buttermilk plus 2 tablespoons
- 1/2 cup Heavy Cream (whipped to soft peak)
For the Filling:
- 1/2 cup Sugar
- 1 tablespoon Cornstarch
- 3 tablespoons Orange Juice
- 2 tablespoons Water
- 3 Egg Yolks (beaten)
- 8 tablespoons Unsalted Butter
- 1 teaspoon Orange Zest
- 1/4 teaspoon Salt
For the Frosting:
- 1 cup Butter (softened)
- 4 cups Confectioners Sugar
- 1 teaspoon Orange Zest
- 1 teaspoon Orange Extract
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Have ALL ingredients at ROOM temperature.
- Mix dry ingredients in bowl of standing mixer fitted with paddle. Mix on low for 30 seconds to combine. Stir in oil and softened butter. Mix until combined.
- Whisk wet ingredients (eggs, egg yolks, orange juice, orange zest, and 3 tablespoons buttermilk) together in a bowl before adding to mixer. Pour wet ingredients in, and mix on medium speed until the ingredients are combined thoroughly, about 2 minutes. Add the remaining milk, and mix just until combined. Gently fold in whipped heavy cream.
- Divide batter into 2 prepared (sprayed & floured) 9" cake pans. Bake in center of oven for 25 to 30 minutes or until cake springs back in center when touched or toothpick comes out clean. Let cakes cool for 10 minutes, then turn out onto baking racks. Let cool completely before filling and frosting.
- For the Filling: In a small saucepan, combine sugar and cornstarch. Stir in orange juice and water until smooth. Bring to a boil, and cook and stir for 1 minute or until thickened. Remove from heat. Temper the hot mixture into the egg yolks. Return the mixture to the small saucepan. Bring to a boil and cook for 1 minute longer. Off the heat, stir in the orange zest, butter and salt. Transfer to bowl or storage container, then cool to room temp without stirring. Chill in fridge for 1 hour.
- For the Frosting: Beat butter until light and fluffy. Add remaining ingredients and beat until smooth.
- Put it all together. Cut each cake horizontally with dental floss into two layers. Place bottom layer on serving plate and spread with 1/3 cup filling. Repeat with remaining cake layers and filling, finishing with a cake layer. Frost top and sides of cake.
- Store in fridge if not serving within an hour. Remove from fridge 30 minutes prior to serving.