Three Cheese Mac N' Cheese
Mario Batali's Truffle Mac N' Cheese
- For the Roasted Cauliflower:
- 1 head of Cauliflower (cut into florets)
- Olive Oil
- Salt and Pepper
For the Mac N' Cheese:
- 1 1/2 pounds Penne Pasta
- 3 cups Bechamel
- 1 cup Fontina (grated; plus more for garnish)
- 1 cup Robiolina
- 1 1/2 cups Parmigiano-Reggiano (plus more for garnish)
- 1 small Black Truffle
- Salt and Pepper to taste
For the Topping:
- 1/2 cup Fat Boy Bread Crumbs(toasted)
- 1/3 cup Parmigiano-Reggiano
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground Black Pepper
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- For the Roasted Cauliflower: Toss the florets in a mixing bowl with about 1/4 cup of olive oil. Season with salt and pepper and then spread out evenly onto a sheet tray. Roast until golden brown, about 15 to 20 minutes. Remove from the oven and set aside.
- For the Mac N' Cheese: Bring a large pot of water to a boil and season generously with salt (so it tastes like the ocean). Preheat the broiler on high. Drop the pasta in the boiling water and cook for one minute less than the package instructions.
- In a heavy bottomed pot, make the bechamel.
- Add the cooked pasta to the pot and stir to combine, let cook on low for 1 minute, ensuring the noodles are thoroughly coated in the cheese sauce. Whisk in the Fontina, Robiolina, and Parmigiano, and stir to combine. Box grate in half the truffle. Taste and adjust seasoning with salt and pepper.
- For the Topping: Scatter the cauliflower on the top of the pasta, followed by the breadcrumbs, more Fontina, more Parmigiano and more finely grated truffle. Broil for 2 to 3 minutes, or until the top is bubbly and golden brown. For extra decadence, grate more Parmigiano and truffle on each individual serving.