Salad with Tuna, Potatoes, and String Beans
Michael Symon's Tuna Nicoise Salad
- 2 pounds Tuna Steak (cut into 4 1-inch thick pieces)
- 2 cups French String Beans (haricots verts; stems removed and blanched)
- 1/2 pound Baby Redskin Potatoes (halved)
- 1/2 pound Fingerling Potatoes (halved)
- 1 bunch Radishes (sliced)
- 4 soft boiled Eggs (peeled)
- 1 cup pitted Black Olives
- 2 cups Arugula
- 1/2 tin Anchovies (optional)
- Salt and freshly ground Black Pepper
- 1/4 cup Sherry Vinegar
- 2 tablespoons Dijon Mustard (separated)
- 3/4 cup Olive Oil (plus more for drizzling)
- Kosher Salt to taste
- freshly ground Black Pepper to taste
- For the potatoes, bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the potatoes and cook until tender but not falling apart, about 10 minutes. Drain and let cool.
- To grill the tuna, pre heat your grill to high. It should be very hot. Brush the tuna with a tablespoon of mustard. Drizzle the tuna with olive oil and season with salt and pepper on both sides. When the grill is ready, add the tuna and grill each side for 1 1/2 to 2 minutes. The center should be raw.
- Toss the haricot verts and potatoes in the vinaigrette. Place on the grill and cook for 2 to 3 minutes or until lightly charred.
- Arrange the tuna, haricots verts, potatoes, radishes, eggs, olives, arugula and anchovies (if using) on a large flat platter.
- For the vinaigrette, combine the vinegar, anchovies and remaining mustard. Slowly whisk in the olive oil to create an emulsion. Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Drizzle some of the vinaigrette over the tuna and vegetables. Reserve the rest to serve in a small pitcher on the side.