Mario Batali's Turkey Meatballs
- 1 1/2 cups Panko
- 1 1/2 pounds Turkey Sausage (removed from the casing)
- 3 Eggs (beaten)
- 3 minced Garlic cloves
- 2 tablespoons Oregano (torn; plus more for garnish)
- 1/4 cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1/4 cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano (plus more for garnish)
- 3/4 cup grated Pecorino Cheese
- Salt and Pepper
- 2 1/2 cups Basic Tomato Sauce
- 1/3 cup Panko (toasted for garnish)
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. In a large bowl, combine the panko, turkey sausage, eggs, garlic, oregano, olive oil, Parmigiano and Pecorino, and season with salt and pepper.
- With wet hands, form the mixture into 12-15 meatballs, each smaller than a tennis ball, but larger than a golf ball.
- Place the formed meatballs on a parchment-lined baking sheet tray, and season with salt. Bake for 15-20 minutes, or until the meatballs are a deep golden brown color.
- Once they are finished, toss the meatballs with some warmed tomato sauce. Sprinkle with Parmigiano cheese, and garnish with oregano and toasted panko. Serve in a shot glass.