Turkey Pot Pie
An old fashioned favorite that's reinvented with tender turkey meat.
- step-by-step directions
Turkey Pot Pie
- For the Roasted Turkey Legs:
- 3 Turkey Legs
- 2 Oranges (juiced and zested)
- 1/2 cup Olive Oil
- 2 tablespoons Honey
- 3 tablespoons Coriander Seeds (toasted)
- 2 Jalapenos (minced)
- 2 Oranges (thinly sliced and seeded)
- 2 Bay Leaves
- 2 small Red Onions (peeled and quartered)
- 1 small bunch fresh Thyme
For the Pot Pie:
- 1/2 cup frozen Pearl Onions (thawed)
- 3 roasted Turkey Legs (meat removed and bones discarded and chopped into medium pieces)
- 6 tablespoons Unsalted Butter
- 1/3 cup All Purpose Flour (plus more for rolling)
- 3 cups Chicken Broth (warmed)
- 1 cup finely diced Carrots
- Kosher Salt and freshly ground Black Pepper
- 1 cup Peas
- 1/4 cup fresh Tarragon
- 1/4 cup Parsley (leaves picked)
- 1/2 recipe Pastry Dough
- 1 large Egg (beaten) with 1 tablespoon Milk
- flaky Sea Salt and cracked Black Peppercorns
For the Pastry Dough:
- 6 cups All-Purpose Flour
- 2 teaspoons Kosher Salt
- 2 tablespoons Sugar
- 1 pound Unsalted Butter (cold and diced)
- 1 1/2 to 2 cups Ice Water
- For the Roasted Turkey Legs: Whisk together the orange zest and juice, 2 tablespoons of the olive oil, the honey, coriander sees, and the jalapenos. Put the turkey in a large nonreactive bowl or gallon-sized zip-top bag, pour the marinade over the chicken, and rub it all over the inside and outside of the bird. Refrigerate for at least 3 hours or overnight, occasionally turning the legs in the marinade.
- Remove the turkey from the fridge half an hour before roasting so that it comes to room temperature. Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.
- In a medium sized bowl, toss the orange slices, bay leaves, onion and thyme in about 3 tablespoons of olive oil, and generously season with salt and pepper Spread the mixture on the bed of a roasting pan and then add the turkey legs. Rub the legs with the remaining olive oil.
- Roast for 45 minutes to 1 hour, or until the internal temperature is 160 degrees F. Remove from the oven and let rest for 10 to 20 minutes.
- For the Pot Pie: Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. In a large cast iron pan over medium-low heat, melt the butter. Add the pearl onions and saute for 2 to 3 minutes. Add the carrots, peas and turkey. Reduce the heat to low, add the flour, and cook, stirring constantly, for 2 minutes. Whisk in the hot chicken broth. Simmer over low heat for about 3 minutes, or until the broth begins to thicken and bubble slightly. Season. Add the picked parsley and tarragon.
- On a floured surface, roll out a large enough piece of dough to cover the cast iron skillet. Lay over the top, letting it drape over the sides. Brush the top and edges with the egg wash. Make 6 slits in the top of the dough to allow steam to vent. Sprinkle with sea salt and cracked peppercorns.
- Put the skillet on a a baking sheet and bake for 15 to 20 minutes, or until the tops are golden brown and the filling is bubbling hot.
- For the Pastry Dough: Put half the flour, salt, and sugar in the bowl of a food processor, pulsing a few times to mix. Add half the butter. Pulse until the butter is about the size of small peas. With the machine running, begin adding the ice water a few tablespoons at a time (up to 3/4 to 1 cup total) until the dough begins to form a ball. Stop adding water as soon as it does.
- Dump the dough out onto a floured work surface and bring together into a ball. Divide the ball into 2 equal halves. Flatten each mound slightly, wrap in plastic wrap, and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
- Repeat with the remaining ingredients. The dough will keep for up to 1 week in the fridge or up to 2 months in the freezer. Defrost overnight in the refrigerator before rolling.
Similar categories: Ingredients Chicken & Poultry Courses & Meals Dinner Holidays & Occasions Christmas Thanksgiving Thanksgiving Leftovers Recipes Alternative Thanksgiving Main Dishes
Peach Cobbler with Raspberry Coulis
Havarti and Horseradish Stovetop Mac and Cheese
Spicy Honey Dijon Coleslaw
Spice-Rubbed Smoked Chicken
Pineapple Teriyaki Chicken Meatballs
Banana Split Ice Cream Cupcake Bar
T-Bone Steak with Green Bean Salad
Ginger Cinnamon Funnel Cakes
Strawberry Malted Milkshake
Cheddar Pretzel Chicken with Spicy Corn Relish
Mediterranean Stuffed Peppers with Feta Bechamel