Stuffed Pasta Dish
Mario's Makeover: Turkey Sausage Stuffed Shells
- 3 tablespoons Salt
- 1 pound largest Shell Shaped Pasta for stuffing
- 3 tablespoons Olive Oil
- 1/2 sliced Red Onion
- 1 pound Italian Style Turkey Sausage (casing removed)
- 1 tablespoon Flour
- 1 cup Milk
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 1 pinch Nutmeg
- 1 Egg (beaten)
- 1/2 cup Ricotta
- 1/2 cup Hellmann’s® Mayonnaise Dressing with Olive Oil
- 1/2 cup grated Pecorino Romano cheese (plus more for garnish)
- 1 1/2 cups Basic Tomato Sauce
- Parsley leaves (torn; optional for garnish)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Bring 8 quarts water to the boil and add 3 tablespoons salt. Drop the shells into the water and cook until 3 minutes short of the suggested cooking time, then drain them in a colander and shock them in ice water until very cold. Place in a colander lined with paper towels to dry and rest.
- In a skillet, heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil and add the sliced onions. Cook over medium high heat until they begin to brown and caramelize. Salt to taste and set aside.
- In a large skillet, heat the oil over medium heat and add the sausage and cook until it begins to brown in its own fat. Add the caramelized onions and the flour and stir to distribute well and cook 5 minutes. Add the milk, bring to a boil and then reduce heat to a simmer. Cook for 10 minutes, stirring regularly, then remove from heat and allow to cool. Season with salt, pepper and nutmeg and stir in the egg, the ricotta, the Hellmann’s® and the Pecorino Romano cheese and mix well. Set aside.
- Grease a 10 by 12 baking dish with the extra virgin olive oil and set aside. Carefully stuff each shell with 2 to 3 tablespoons of the turkey sausage mixture. Lay each one open side up in the baking dish, next to one another, but not too crowded to squeeze each other. Spoon a good tablespoon of the tomato sauce over each shell and then sprinkle the remaining grated cheese over all.
- Bake in the oven bubbling hot, about 30 minutes, then remove, let rest 5 minutes and serve with a sprinkling of torn parsley leaves (if using) and freshly grated cheese.