Carla shares her trade secrets for an elegant Vanilla Cake!
- 4 1/2 cups All-Purpose Flour plus extra for pans
- 2 tablespoons Baking Powder
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 12 ounces Butter plus extra for pans (at room temperature)
- 3 1/4 cups Sugar
- 5 Eggs
- 1 tablespoon Vanilla Extract
- 4 cups Buttermilk
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Prepare three 9" cake pans by coating with butter and dusting with flour.
- Using an electric mixer, cream butter and sugar until pale yellow and fluffy. Add one egg at a time incorporating fully between additions. Add vanilla extract and mix until incorporated.
- In a large bowl mix together the remaining dry ingredients.
- Beginning and ending with dry mix begin to slowing add flour mixture and buttermilk in an alternating pattern. Mix just until combined.
- Divide mixture between the prepared cake pans and bake for 40-50 minutes, until the cake is golden brown and pulls away from the pan. Cool in pan for 10 mins then remove from pan and transfer to a rack to cool completely.