Carla Hall's Vanilla Pastry Cream
- 1 cup Whole Milk
- 1 cup Heavy Cream
- 1/2 cup Sugar
- 1/4 cup Corn Starch
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 4 Egg Yolks (room temperature)
- 2 tablespoons Unsalted Butter (cubed)
- 2 teaspoons Vanilla Extract
- Heat the milk and cream in a sauce pot over medium-low, until steaming. Whisk in the sugar, cornstarch and salt and return to a boil.
- In a bowl, whisk eggs and temper 1/2 cup of hot milk mixture into the eggs. Gradually pour this back into the pot and continue to whisk as the mixture returns to a boil. Continue to cook until thick about 5 minutes.
- Strain through a fine mesh strainer into a clean bowl with pats of butter in the bottom. Stir until butter melts. Add extract and stir to incorporate.
- Cover with plastic wrap, pressing plastic onto top of cream to prevent a skin from forming. Place in refrigerator until chilled.