Just because you're a vegetarian doesn't mean you can't enjoy a delicious shepherd's pie. This vegetable version is just as good as the original!
Special Vegetarian Shepherd's Pie
- For the Filling:
- 1/2 pound Cremini Mushrooms (diced)
- 1/2 Eggplant (peeled and diced)
- 1 Onion (diced)
- 1 Clove garlic (minced)
- 1 Zucchini (diced)
- 1 tablespoon Cumin
- 3 tablespoon Curry Powder
- 14 ounce Chick peas (drained)
- 2 tablespoon Flour
- 1 cup Vegetable stock
For the Topping:
- 1 Head cauliflower (cut into florets)
- 1 pound Peas (blanched or frozen)
- 1 cup Heavy cream
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- For the Filling: Heat a large saute pan over medium high heat, add the mushrooms and eggplant and sauté until golden brown, about 8 minutes.
- Add the onions, garlic, and zucchini and cook for another 2 minutes. Season with salt and add cumin and curry powder. Add the chickpeas and toss to coat.
- Add the flour, cook for 2 more minutes and add the stock. Bring to a simmer and cook until the mixture has thickened, 8 to 10 minutes. Pour the mixture into a 9 x 9 baking dish and set aside.
- For the Topping: Blanch the cauliflower in salted, boiling water for about 2 minutes. Remove and drain the cauliflower and add to a food processor.
- Dunk the peas into the cauliflower pot just to heat through and then strain and add to the food processor. Add the heavy cream and puree until smooth but not too runny (should be the consistency of mashed potatoes). Season with salt.
- Spread the cauliflower mixture over the top of the vegetables and place into the oven. Cook for 45 minutes or until top is golden brown.