Tori Hazelett's White Chicken Chili
White Chicken Chili Recipe: Lighten up a heavy chili with ground chicken and chicken sausage.
- Olive Oil
- 1 large Onion (diced)
- 1 Red or Green Bell Pepper (chopped)
- 4 Garlic cloves (minced)
- 1 pound Ground Chicken
- 3 links Chicken Sausage (casing removed)
- 2 tablespoons Chili Powder
- 2 tablespoons toasted Fennel Seeds
- 2 tablespoons ground Cumin
- 1 tablespoon dried Oregano
- 1 teaspoon seasoning Salt
- 1 1/2-2 teaspoons Red Chili Flakes
- 3 tablespoons Flour
- 6 ounces mild Lager Beer
- 2 15-ounce cans Cannellini Beans (rinsed and drained)
- 2 Jalapenos (finely chopped and muddled with salt)
- 2 cups fresh Corn Kernels (cut from the cob)
- 4-5 cups Homemade Chicken Stock
- 4 cups Baby Spinach leaves (roughly chopped)
- 1 cup grated Parmesan
- 1/4 cup Parsley (chopped)
- 2 roasted Poblanos (stems and seeds removed; chopped)
- Kosher Salt
- Honey Corn Bread to serve
- Sour Cream for garnish
- chopped Scallions for garnish
Tori's Winning Chicken Chili
1 pound Ground Chicken
3 links Chicken Sausage (casing removed)
1 teaspoon seasoning Salt
In a Dutch oven, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Add the ground chicken and sausage and season with salt. Cook until the edges of the chicken are brown and meat begins to caramelize, about 7 to 8 minutes.
1 large Onion (diced)
1 Red or Green Bell Pepper (chopped)
4 Garlic cloves (minced)
Add the onions and bell peppers along with another pinch of salt and cook until translucent, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute.
2 tablespoons Chili Powder
2 tablespoons toasted Fennel Seeds
2 tablespoons ground Cumin
1 tablespoon dried Oregano
1 1/2-2 teaspoons Red Chili Flakes
3 tablespoons Flour
6 ounces mild Lager Beer
Add the dried spices and cook until very fragrant, 3 to 4 minutes, and add the flour and stir for 30 seconds. Deglaze with the lager, scraping up brown bits form the bottom of the pot and cook until reduced by half, about 5 minutes.
2 15-ounce cans Cannellini Beans (rinsed and drained)
2 Jalapenos (finely chopped and muddled with salt)
2 cups fresh Corn Kernels (cut from the cob)
4-5 cups Homemade Chicken Stock
Add the beans, jalapenos, corn, and most of the chicken stock, reserving 1 cup of stock. Bring to boil, reduce to simmer, and stir frequently. Cook over medium low heat for about an hour.
4 cups Baby Spinach leaves (roughly chopped)
1 cup grated Parmesan
1/4 cup Parsley (chopped)
2 roasted Poblanos (stems and seeds removed; chopped)
Sour Cream for garnish
chopped Scallions for garnish
Honey Corn Bread to serve
Add the spinach, Parmesan, parsley, and roasted poblanos. Add a little more of the reserved chicken stock if needed to thin. Cook for another 10 minutes, taste/adjust seasonings. Garnish bowls of chili with sour cream and scallions and serve with cornbread.
1. Reserve chicken stock for the end in case the chili is too thick.
2. If the chili is too spicy, serve with sour cream or Greek yogurt for a cooling component.