With alternating layers of white and dark chocolate filling, these light, airy pies stack up.
Triple Chocolate Whoopie Pie Cake
- For the Cake:
- 3 cups All-Purpose Flour
- 3/4 cup Unsweetened Cocoa
- 1 teaspoon Baking Soda
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 1 1/2 sticks Butter (at room temperature)
- 1 1/2 cups Granulated Sugar
- 2 large Eggs (at room temperature)
- 1 1/2 cups Milk
- 1/2 cup Chocolate Chips
- 1 1/2 cup Dark Chocolate (melted)
- For the White Chocolate Filling:
- 2 stick Butter (softened)
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 4 cups Powdered Sugar
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 2 cups Cream Cheese (softened)
- 1 cup melted White Chocolate
- For the Dark Chocolate Filling:
- 1 stick Butter (softened)
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 2 cups Powdered Sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 1 cup Cream Cheese (softened)
- 1/2 cup melted Dark Chocolate
- For the Cake: Arrange the oven racks in the upper and lower thirds of the oven and preheat the oven to 425°F.
- Whisk together the flours, cocoa, baking soda and salt in a medium bowl. Cream the butter and sugar in the bowl of an electric mixer at high speed until fluffy, about 4 minutes. Add the egg and milk and beat at medium speed until incorporated. At low speed, add the flour mixture in 2 batches, alternating with the milk, mixing until just blended. Put the batter into piping bags.
- Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper. Trace the base of an 8-inch cake pan (or any 8 inch circle) 4 times on the parchment paper, a template for the cake batter.
- Flip the papers over, place them on sheet trays, and begin piping in the edge of circle, spiraling your way in to the center to form a perfect circle. Fill all four circles. Smooth the cake batter with a spatula. Bake for 7 to 8 minutes, until springy to the touch. Let cool on the sheets for 5 minutes, then transfer to a rack to cool completely.
- For the White Chocolate Filling: Meanwhile make each filling separately. Beat the butter, salt and powdered sugar at low speed until blended and then beat at high speed until fluffy, about 5 minutes. Add the vanilla and cream cheese and mix at low speed until blended, about 1 minute. Slowly mix in cooled melted chocolate. Place the filling into piping bag.
- For the Dark Chocolate Filling: Beat the butter, salt and powdered sugar at low speed until blended and then beat at high speed until fluffy, about 5 minutes. Add the vanilla and cream cheese and mix at low speed until blended, about 1 minute. Slowly mix in cooled melted chocolate. Place the filling into piping bag.
- Working with one circle, pipe an even layer of white chocolate filling onto the base layer. Smooth the filling with a spatula or an offset. Place a piece of cake on top and pipe an even layer of the dark chocolate filling.
- Place another layer of cake on top and pipe an even layer of the white chocolate filling. Sprinkle with the chocolate chips. Top with a final layer of cake. Pour the melted chocolate over the top and smooth with a spatula. Serve.