Winter Fruit Parfait
Carla Hall and Daphne Oz's Blood Orange and Pomegranate Parfait
- For the Pie Crust:
- 1 Graham Cracker Pie Crust Recipe
For the Filling:
- 1 cup Granulated Sugar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons Cornstarch
- 1/4 cup Water
- 1/2 cup Lemon Juice
- 1/3 cup Blood Orange Juice (strained)
- 6 large Egg Yolks (reserve egg whites for the meringue; beaten)
- 2 teaspoons Orange zest
- 1 stick Butter
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
For the Meringue:
- 1 cup Superfine Sugar
- 1/3 cup Water
- 1 tablespoon Lime Juice
- 5 Egg Whites (room temperature)
- 1/4 teaspoon Cream of Tartar
- 2 teaspoons Limes (zest)
For the Garnish:
- 1 cup Pomegranate Seeds
- For the Pie Crust: Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Prepare the graham cracker crust and press the crust onto a greased sheet tray. Bake 5 to 8 minutes until golden brown. Remove from the oven and let cool. Crumble.
- For the Filling: In a small saucepan, combine sugar and cornstarch. Stir in water, lemon and orange juice until smooth. Bring to a boil, cook and stir for 1 minute or until thickened. Remove from heat.
- Temper the hot mixture into the egg yolks by adding a third of the warm mixture whisking constantly. Return the mixture to the small saucepan. Stir with a wooden spoon and bring to a boil and cook for 1 minute longer. Off the heat, stir in the orange zest, butter and salt.
- Transfer to a bowl or storage container, then cool to room temp without stirring. Chill in fridge for 1 hour. Once cooled, put in a piping bag or zip top bag.
- For the Meringue: In a small pot over low heat, combine sugar, water and lime juice. Place a lid on the pot to allow the condensation to naturally wash down the inside wall of the pot. This will help prevent sugar crystals from forming around the sides, falling in and causing a chain reaction. Swirl the pot over the burner to dissolve the sugar completely. Do not stir.
- Increase the heat and boil to soft-ball stage (235 to 240 degrees). Use a candy thermometer for accuracy. Prepare your meringue.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, whip the eggs whites on low speed until foamy. Add the cream of tartar, increase the speed to medium, and beat until soft peaks form. With the mixer running, pour the hot sugar syrup in a thin stream over fluffed egg whites. Beat until the egg whites are stiff and glossy. Stir in lime zest. Put the meringue in a piping bag or zip top bag.
- Use stemless wine glasses. Place 2 tablespoons of the crumbled crust in the bottom of the glasses. Pipe in a layer of the cooled filling. Sprinkle about 1 tablespoon of pomegranates on top, then top with a swirl of piped meringue. Continue to layer in the glass, finishing with a layer of meringue. Garnish with more pomegranate seeds or crumbled graham crackers.