Zucchini is in season and this dish is the perfect place to use it.
- 2 zucchini (thinly sliced)
- 2 yellow summer squash (thinly sliced)
- 1 tablespoon plus 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 shallot (finely sliced)
- 3 lemons (juice and zest)
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/3 cup slivered or sliced almonds (toasted)
- 1/3 cup fresh dill (chopped)
- Combine the zucchini and yellow squash in a colander in the sink and sprinkle 1 tablespoon of the salt over it. Toss to coat, and set aside for 10 to 15 minutes, no longer.
- In a large bowl, combine the garlic and shallot, sprinkle with the remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt, and whisk in the lemon zest and juice. Whisk in the olive oil in a steady stream, then the almonds and dill. Taste for seasoning and acidity (it should be nicely acidic). Add the zucchini and squash to the dressing, toss, and serve immediately.