Creamy Rice with Vegetables
Michael Symon's Zucchini Risotto
- 1/4 cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil (plus more to finish)
- 1 1/2 cups Arborio Rice
- 1 Yellow Onion (grated)
- 1 Garlic clove (grated)
- 1/2 cup White Wine
- 2 quarts Vegetable Stock (heated until hot)
- 2 medium Zucchini (small dice)
- 1/2 pint Cherry Tomatoes (halved)
- 3/4 cup Parsley leaves (chopped)
- 3/4 cup Basil leaves (chiffonade)
- freshly grated Parmigiano Reggiano (for garnish)
- Salt and freshly ground Pepper
- Heat olive oil in a saucepot over medium-high heat. Add the rice and stir until thoroughly coated and opaque, about 3 minutes. Add the onion and garlic, and cook until softened, about 2 minutes.
- Add the white wine and cook until reduced by half and the alcohol smell is completely gone, about 2 minutes.
- Add a 4 to 6 ounce ladleful of the stock and cook, stirring, until the liquid is absorbed. Continue stirring and adding the hot stock a ladleful at a time, waiting until the liquid is absorbed each time before adding more. Fold in the zucchini with your last third of the stock and continue to cook until the rice is tender and creamy but still al dente, about 18 minutes. Season the risotto with salt and freshly ground pepper to taste.
- Remove from heat and immediately fold in the tomatoes, parsley, basil, and parmigiano, and finish with extra virgin olive oil. Serve, garnished with additional parmigiano.