Don't miss out on Mario's healthy Italian version of schnitzel!
Almond Crusted Scallopini with Apples & Arugula
- 1 1/2 pounds pork tenderloin (cut into medallions and pounded thin, about 1/4-inch)
- 1 1/2 cups almond flour
- 3 cloves garlic
- 3 tart apples (such as Granny Smith, peeled & thinly sliced)
- freshly grated nutmeg (to taste)
- 2 ounces Brandy
- 4 cups arugula (chopped)
- Kosher salt freshly ground black pepper (to taste)
- extra-virgin olive oil
- Season the pork cutlets with salt on all sides. Place the almond flour in a shallow dish and season with salt and pepper.
- Dredge the pork in the seasoned almond flour, allowing excess to fall off.
- Add a 1/4 inch of olive oil to a large saute pan over medium-low heat. Place a few dredges pieces of pork into the hot oil and cook until golden, then flip and cook until golden on both sides, about 2-3 minutes per side.
- Meanwhile, heat a second skillet over medium-high with a few tablespoons of oil. Add the garlic and cook until light golden. Add the apples, season with a pinch of salt and freshly grated nutmeg.
- Once the Apples take on a bit of color, add the Brandy and carefully ignite with a match or long-stick lighter. Cook until the flames subside. Add the arugula and toss to combine.
- Serve the apples and arugula over the scallopini and finish with a drizzle of olive oil.