Carla Hall gets creative with these Apple Dumplings!
- step-by-step directions
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 12 tablespoons unsalted butter (chilled, cut into cubes)
- 4 tablespoons vegetable shortening (chilled)
- 1/3 cup cold water
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 4 small apples (peeled, cored)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter (melted)
- 4 tablespoons heavy cream
- 1 cup apple cider
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon Kosher salt
- For the Dough: In a large bowl, add the flour, butter, and shortening. Using a pastry blender or fork, cut the shortening and butter into the flour. Add the cold water, sugar, and salt. Mix the dough with your hands until it just comes together and shape the dough into a 1-inch thick square. Cover in plastic wrap and place in the refrigerator to rest for at least 2 hours or overnight.
- To Assemble: Preheat the oven to 400ºF.
- On a floured surface, roll the dough out to 1/4-inch thick then fold and roll to 1/4-inch again. Repeat two more times to create streaks of butter throughout the dough. After the last roll of dough, cut the dough into 4 squares, about 5x5-inches.
- In a small bowl, add the sugar, light brown sugar, and cinnamon and stir to combine.
- Combine the melted butter and cream. Brush each of the dough pieces with the melted butter and cream, leaving a 1-inch border. Sprinkle the cinnamon sugar mixture on top. Place an apple in the center of each dough square. Brush the border of dough with melted butter and cream, gather the ends of dough to form a point on top of the apple and pinch together. Brush the outside with melted butter and cream. Sprinkle additional sugar mixture on top. Place in freezer for 15 minutes before baking.
- Place the apple dumplings in a shallow baking dish or baking sheet and bake for 25-30 minutes until the apple is tender and crust is golden brown. Drizzle apple cider sauce over the top.
- For the Apple Cider Sauce: In a small saucepan, add the apple cider, brown sugar, cinnamon and salt. Bring to a boil and reduce to a simmer. Allow to simmer until the sugar dissolves and the cider becomes like a syrup. Remove from the heat and serve over the apples.
- Tip: Assemble the apple dumplings in advance. Keep in the refrigerator until ready to bake.
rate this recipe
Foolproof Lemon Bars
Basic Roast Chicken
Herby Store Bought Tomato Sauce
Quick Tomato Sauce
Classic Tomato Sauce
Green Eggs and Ham Breakfast Crepe
Bologna Fried Rice
Kal's Spicy Salsa
Roasted Portobello Tacos with Cabbage Slaw and Smashed Avocado
Cheddar Chicken Enchilada Skillet
Carrot Cake Poppers