Carla Hall's Apple Pie with Cheddar Crumble
- 1/2 Pie Crust
- 2 tart Apples (peeled; cored and cut into 1/2-inch chunks)
- 1 sweet Apple (peeled; cored and cut into 1/2-inch chunks)
- 2 tablespoons All-Purpose Flour
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground Cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground Nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground Allspice
- 1/4 cup Brown Sugar
- 2 tablespoons Granulated Sugar
- 1 Lemon (zest and juice)
- pinch of Salt
For the Cheddar Crumble Topping:
- 1/3 cup finely grated Cheddar Cheese
- 1/4 cup All-Purpose Flour
- 2 tablespoons Brown Sugar
- 2 tablespoons Unsalted Butter (cubed and cold)
- pinch of Salt
- 1 Egg plus 1 tablespoon Water (whisked)
- Turbinado Sugar (to sprinkle)
- pinch of Salt (to sprinkle)
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Combine the flour, sugars and spices in a large bowl and to combine. Add the apples, lemon juice and zest, and salt and toss to coat in the dry mixture. Set aside.
- For the Cheddar Crumble Topping: In a medium bowl combine the flour and cheese and work together until incorporated. Add brown sugar, butter and pinch of salt and crumble together using your fingers, fork or pastry blender.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll pie dough to 1/4-inch thickness. Pour the apple mixture into the center of the dough and allow to mound. Sprinkle the crumble topping over the apples into an even layer. Fold the edges over the apples. Brush the pie dough with egg was and sprinkle with turbinado sugar and salt.
- Cook for 35 to 40 minutes. Remove from oven and allow to cool to room temperature before serving.