Apple Pie with Cheddar Cheese Crust
What's more American than Apple Pie?
- step-by-step directions
Cheddar Cheese Crust:
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter (1 1/2 sticks, chilled and cut into cubes)
- 1 1/2 cups aged, white, sharp, cheddar cheese (chilled and shredded)
- 6-8 tablespoons ice water
- 8 cups Granny Smith apples (peeled and sliced)
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup dark brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons butter (chllled and cut in small cubes)
- 1 egg (beaten with 1 tablespoon heavy cream)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons turbinado sugar
- 1 pint vanilla ice cream
- For the Crust: In the bowl of a food processor, add the flour, sugar, and salt. Pulse a few times to mix. Add butter and continue pulsing until small crumbs form. Add cheese and pulse to combine. While pulsing, add the ice water, a tablespoon at a time, until the dough comes together.
- Remove the dough to a floured surface, and form into a ball. Divide dough in half and flatten into two disks, wrap in plastic wrap and chill for one hour.
- For the Filling:
- Preheat the oven to 375ºF. In a large bowl, add the apples, sugar, brown sugar, flour, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt and stir to combine. Add the cream and toss to coat. Set aside.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out one disk of dough to a 13-inch round. Brush off any excess flour. Place pie crust in a 10-inch pie plate. Roll out the second disk of dough to a 12-inch round.
- Scoop the filling into the pie shell and dot with butter. Place the second pastry crust on top of the filling, fold over the bottom pie crust and crimp edges together.
- With a pairing knife, cut slits in the shape of an X in the top of the crust. Brush the crust with egg wash and sprinkle with turbinado sugar.
- Place the pie on a baking sheet and bake for 45 minutes. Remove pie from oven and cover edges with foil, return to oven and continue to bake for another 30 minutes. Remove and cool on baking rack for 1 hour.
- Serve each slice of pie with one scoop of vanilla ice cream.
- Tip: Make the pie dough in advance and keep in the refrigerator until ready to use.
Similar categories: Desserts Pies & Tarts Apples Ingredients Fruit Apples Courses & Meals Desserts Pies & Tarts
Rock Shrimp and Egg Sandwich
Apple Tarte Tatin
Buttermilk Semifreddo with Candied Peaches
Cast-Iron Blueberry Cobbler
Green Chicken Enchiladas
Savory Breakfast Cauliflower Bake
Sausage Gravy and Bacon Biscuits
Italian Egg Boat
Waffle Pies with Herbed Eggs
Chai Tea Oatmeal