Apple Cornbread Cake
- step-by-step directions
Apple Cornbread Cake
- 1/2 cup butter (softened)
- 1/2 cup Greek yogurt
- 2 eggs (yolks and whites separated)
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 cups almond flour
- 3/4 cup fine yellow cornmeal
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking P=powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
Brown Butter Apples:
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 4 Fuji or Gala apples (medium diced)
- Pinch of salt
- 1 orange (zest and juice)
- For the Cornbread Cake: Grease a 9-inch spring form pan, line with parchment paper and grease the parchment. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- For the Brown Butter Apples: In a large saute pan, add the butter and cook over medium-high heat until golden brown, about 3 to 4 minutes. Add the apples and season with a pinch of salt. Toss to coat and cook for 2 to 3 minutes, until just slightly softened.
- Beat the butter, yogurt, egg yolks, and sugar until pale and creamy, about 4 to 5 minutes.
- In a clean bowl, whisk the egg whites to soft peaks. In a separate bowl, whisk together the almond flour, cornmeal, baking powder and salt. Slowly incorporate the dry ingredients into the wet yogurt mixture, careful not to over whisk. Stir in half the apples and then gently fold in the egg whites.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared pan and bake for 35 to 40 minutes. Test with a cake tester. The tester should come out mostly clean, but most importantly, the cake should pull away from the sides of the pan slightly. Remove from the oven and cool on a rack, leaving in the pan.
- Return the apples to the stove and combine the orange juice and zest with the apples. Simmer for 2 minutes. Pierce the top of the cake with a cake tester and pour the warm apples over the cake. Leave to cool completely before taking out of the pan.
Holiday Gingerbread Cookie
Zabaglione with Berries and Chocolate
Rich Chocolate Bundt Cake with Toasted Almonds
PB&J Cereal French Toast
Everything Bagel Cracker and Spinach Dip
Noodles with Cabbage and Onions
Make-Ahead Beef Bourguignon
Breakfast Carbonara Casserole
Sweet Potato Pierogies
Sugar Cookie Christmas Trees