Baby Chicken Salad Puffs
Baby Chicken Salad Puffs by Clinton Kelly
- 1 cup Water
- 5 tablespoons Butter (cubed)
- 1 teaspoon Sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 1 cup All-Purpose Flour
- 6 large Eggs
- 1 Egg (plus 1 yolk for brushing)
- 2 tablespoons Water (for brushing)
- 1 cup Mayonnaise
- 1 Lemon (zest & juice)
- 3 tablespoons Fresh Tarragon (chopped)
- 1/3 cup Walnuts (toasted & chopped)
- 1/3 cup Raisin
- 3 cups Rotisserie Chicken (diced)
- For Puffs: Preheat oven to 400°F.
Line two baking sheets with parchment or silicon baking sheet.
In a medium sauce pot, combine 1 cup Water, Butter, Sugar and Salt and bring to a simmer. Once Butter has melted, whisk in Flour, breaking up any lumps. Once dough forms a ball and pulls away from the pan remove from heat.
Beat in one Egg at a time, fully incorporating after each addition. Dough will be glossy and thick.
If using parchment, lift the corners of the parchment and pipe a small amount of batter onto the baking sheet and press parchment back in place. This will prevent slipping during piping and baking.
Using two spoons, place small balls of batter (about 1 inch), spacing about 1-2 inches apart, in rows on each baking sheet. Dampen your finger with water to correct the shape of the tops as needed. Whisk together the remaining Egg Yolk and 2 tablespoons Water. Brush the tops of each puff the place in the oven.
Bake for 20 minute or until puffed, glossy and rich golden on the outside.
Remove from oven and allow to cool completely. Puffs can be made a few days in advance and stored in an airtight container at room temperature. Return to oven for 5-10 minutes to crispy before using.
- For Chicken Salad: Stir together the ingredients in a large bowl and allow to chill until ready to use. This can be prepared a day in advance and stored in a covered container in the fridge.
- For Assembly: Slice each puff in half crosswise. Place a scoop of Chicken Salad on each bottom piece. Return the other half to top off sandwiches.
Serve at room temperature.