- Bacon Doughnuts:
- 2 cups all-purpose flour (sifted)
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 35 grams melted butter (not hot)
- 20 grams melted bacon fat (not hot)
- 2 tablespoons baking powder
Dulce de Leche:
- 1 can sweetened condensed milk
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 pound sliced bacon
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- For the Doughnuts: Mix ingredients until smooth, but don't overwork dough.
- Lightly flour cutting board & the top of the dough. Flatten dough with floured hands until 1/2 inch thick
Cut out dough using a 2 inch ring mold & place on lightly floured parchment lined baking sheet. Let rest in fridge for 30 minutes covered with plastic wrap
- To fry, cut doughnuts in half and proof for 2 minutes per side until dough feels soft and light to the touch in a warm spot. Fry for about 1 minute on first side and flip when dough is golden on bottom and has slightly "puffed." Cook for about another 45 seconds until golden on the other side.
- Dust with cinnamon sugar, top with dulce de leche glaze & sprinkle with "bacon flakes."
- For the Dulce de Leche: Make 2 small holes in top of can with can opener. Place can in a small pot and fill about 2/3 up the can with water. Lightly simmer can for 3 hours adding water as necessary.
- Remove contents from can when cooked and thin by whisking with water - about 1/2 cup - glaze should be the consistency of chocolate syrup.
- For the Cinnamon Sugar: Combine cinnamon and sugar. Whisk until uniform.
- For the Bacon Flake: Cut bacon into 1/4 inch strips and saute with oil in nonstick pan. Stir frequently to evenly cook for about 5 to 7 minutes or until bacon is crisped. Drain bacon over sieve or other strainer for 15 minutes to remove as much fat as possible.
- When cooled, mince bacon as fine as possible until the consistency of flaked sea salt or fine bacon bits