Baja-Style Fish Tacos
Taco Tuesday - baja fish taco style!
- step-by-step directions
Baja-Style Fish Tacos
- 2 pounds cod (skinless, cut into 1/2 inch wide by 3 inch long strips)
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne (or to taste)
- 2 bottles beer (12 ounces, such as a dark Mexican lager, cold)
- canola oil (for frying)
- kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper (to taste)
- 1 clove garlic
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 large egg yolks
- 1 lime (juice and zest)
- 3/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon jalapeno (minced)
- salt (to taste)
- 1/2 bunch radishes (thinly sliced)
- 2 cups red cabbage (thinly sliced)
- 1 jalapeno (thinly sliced)
- 1 cup cilantro leaves
- 1/4 cup Jalapeno-Lime Aioli
- 1 lime juiced
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper (to taste)
- 1 recipe Mario's Tomatillo Salsa
- hot sauce
- pickled jalapenos
- pickled red onions
- sliced avocado
- 2 limes (wedges, to serve)
- white corn tortillas (6 inches, warmed on griddle)
- Fill a large, heavy-bottomed pot with a few inches of oil. Preheat to 360ºF.
- In a large mixing bowl, add the flour, baking powder, salt, pepper, mustard, oregano and cayenne, and whisk to combine. Slowly add the beer, whisking to combine until there are no lumps. Using tongs, dip the fish pieces into the batter and place in the hot oil in batches of about 10 pieces. Fry the fish, flipping occasionally, until golden brown, about 5 minutes. Using a spider, remove fish to a paper towel-lined baking sheet. Season with salt.
- To serve, place 1 or 2 pieces of fried fish on a corn tortilla. Top with a drizzle of Jalapeno-Lime Aioli. Top with some Radish slaw and toppings of choice.
- For the Jalapeno-Lime Aioli: with a food processor running, drop the garlic clove through the top of the food processor to mince. Remove the top and add the yolks, lime juice, zest and a pinch of salt. With a food processor running, slowly drizzle in the oil, until the mixture emulsifies. Stir in jalapeno. Adjust seasoning to taste.
- For the Radish Slaw: in a large bowl, add the radishes, red cabbage, jalapeno, cilantro, Jalapeno-Lime Aioli and juice of 1 lime. Mix to combine and season with salt and pepper to taste. Cover and place in the refrigerator to rest for up to an hour before serving.
- Helpful Tip: use any kind of flakey, white fish such as grouper, sea bass or halibut.
Cannelloni al Forno
Skordalia and Roasted Beets
Rock Shrimp and Egg Sandwich
Apple Tarte Tatin
Buttermilk Semifreddo with Candied Peaches
Cast-Iron Blueberry Cobbler
Green Chicken Enchiladas
Savory Breakfast Cauliflower Bake
Sausage Gravy and Bacon Biscuits
Italian Egg Boat