A delicious twist on an Italian favorite.
- step-by-step directions
- 5 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 medium onion (diced)
- 1 rib celery (finely diced)
- 1 carrot (finely diced)
- 1 clove garlic (sliced)
- 1 pound ground beef round
- 1/2 tube tomato paste (about 1/4 cup)
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1 package Manicotti
- 1/2 pound Bresaola (sliced)
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 cup grated Pecorino cheese (plus 1/2 cup)
- 2 bunches Italian parsley (finely chopped to yield 1/2 cup)
- 2 cups Basic Tomato Sauce
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- In a 6 to 8-quart, heavy-bottomed saucepan, heat the olive oil and butter over medium heat. Add the onions, celery, carrots and garlic and sweat over medium heat until the vegetables are translucent and soft but not browned, about 10 to 15 minutes.
- Add the ground beef and stir into the vegetables. And cook over medium heat and fully cooked, about 10 minutes, stirring regularly. Add the tomato paste, milk, and wine and simmer over medium-low heat for 1 to 1 1/2 hours. Set aside to cool.
- Season with salt and pepper, to taste, and remove from the heat and allow to cool.
- Preheat oven to 375ºF.
- Meanwhile, blanch the manicotti shells exactly half the time it says on the package and then drain and submerge in ice water to cool. Remove and drain and set aside in the refrigerator until ready to use.
- Place cooked and cooled ragu in large mixing bowl and add bresaola, eggs, 1/2 cup grated cheese and 1/2 chopped parsley and mix well. Season with salt and pepper and carefully stuff, using a piping bag or a small spoon, into pasta tubes. Layer pasta tubes in an oiled 8-inch by 10-inch baking dish, alternating with tomato sauce and remaining grated cheese, until dish is full. Place in an oven and cook 15 to 20 minutes until golden brown and crispy on top.
- Remove and allow to cool. Serve with grated Parmesan cheese.
Ricotta Gnudi with Brown Butter and Sage
BBQ Pork Dumplings
Spicy Orange Glazed Chicken Thighs with Shaved Carrot Salad
Kandi's Creamed Corn
Classic German Chocolate Cake
Almond Braised Chicken Thighs with Butternut Squash and Brussels Sprouts
Halibut en Papillotte
Cookies and Cream Sweetheart
Linguine with White Clam Sauce