Baked Zucchini Spears Recipe: It's so good, you wouldn't even know this is a low-calorie swap.
Baked Zucchini Spears
- 4 medium zucchini (cut into 1/2" thick spears)
- 2 egg whites
- 1/2 cup whole wheat breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- olive oil or olive oil cooking spray
- 1 jar store-bought marinara sauce (warmed, to serve)
- Preheat oven to 400ºF. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicon baking mat.
- Blot excess moisture from zucchini spears with a clean kitchen towel or paper towel.
- In a shallow dish, whisk the egg whites until frothy.
- In a separate dish, whisk the together the whole wheat breadcrumbs, Parmesan cheese, garlic powder, cayenne, seasoning with salt and pepper.
- Dredge the spears in the egg whites and coat completely in the breadcrumb mixture. Place dredges spears in a even layer on the baking sheet, leaving space between each stick. Drizzle or spray lightly with olive oil.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes or until golden and crisp. Serve with warm marinara sauce.