Scrumptious and sweet, Carla's bakewell tart in a nutshell.
- step-by-step directions
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour (plus more for dusting)
- 3/4 cup powdered sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 10 tablespoons cold, unsalted butter (cut into 1/2 inch pieces)
- 3 tablespoons raspberry jam
- 10 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup ground almonds
- 1 large egg (whisked)
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar (whisked)
- 1 lemon (zest & 1 teaspoon juice)
- 2 teaspoons water (plus more as needed)
- For Pate Sucre: Whisk together the egg yolk, cream and extract in a measuring cup and chill.
- In a food processor, pulse together the flour, sugar and salt until well-blended. Add half of the butter cubes and pulse for 2-3 seconds. Add the remaining butter and pulse a few times just until a few pea-sized pieces of butter remain. Drizzle in the wet ingredients and pulse until the dough starts to form a ball. Turn the dough onto a lightly floured surface and work in any dry ingredients just until incorporated. Do not over work the dough. Shape into a 2 inch thick disk and wrap in plastic. Chill for at least 30 minutes to allow the gluten to relax.
- Preheat oven 350ºF. Generously butter the inside of a 9" tart pan with removable bottom. Remove dough from the fridge and allow to sit for 5 minutes. Lightly flour your work surface and rolling pin then roll dough out to 1/4" thickness. Using your rolling pin to help lift dough, place over the prepared tart pan and gently press into the edges. Cut off excess dough and reserve for another use. Place foil or parchment inside the dough and fill with baking beans or weights. Place on a baking sheet and cook for 15 minutes. Remove from oven and carefully remove the baking beans and weights. Return to the oven and cook for 5 more minutes. Remove from oven and allow to cool.
- For Filling: Once the baked crust has cooled, spread the raspberry jam evenly over the bottom. Set aside. Melt the butter completely and pour over the sugar in a large bowl. Stir until the sugar dissolves then add the almonds and stir to incorporate. Stir in the remaining ingredients, except the sliced almonds, and then transfer to the tart pan. Evenly distribute the almonds over the top. Place the tart back into the oven to cook for 30-35 minutes, checking to make sure the almonds aren't burning. If the almonds begin to turn too golden, gently tent with foil and continue cooking.
- Remove tart from the oven and allow to cool completely before adding the glaze.
- For Lemon Glaze: Stir together the sugar, lemon zest and juice along with the water as needed until it is smooth and thin enough to drizzle. Drizzle over the cooled tart before serving.
rate this recipe
Cheesy Garlic Donuts
Red Wine Salted Popcorn
Chocolate Baseball Extravaganza
Gazpacho Bloody Mary
Thai Fried Shrimp Cakes with Sweet Chili Sauce
Fried Peach Hand-Pies
Taco Grilled Cheese
Lemon Tendercake with Blueberry Compote
Bacon Wrapped Grilled Cheese
Jam & Gin
Bacon and Ramp Scrambled Eggs