Banana Cream Pie
Buddy Valastro's Banana Cream Pie will have you coming back for more!
- step-by-step directions
Banana Cream Pie
- 2 1/2 cups whole milk
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- 5 extra large egg yolks
- 1 1/2 cups sugar (divided)
- 2/3 cup cake flour (sifted)
- 2 teaspoons unsalted butter
- 3 cups heavy cream
- 1 9- inch store-bought pie shell (blind baked and cooled, if necessary)
- 3 large bananas (peeled)
- 1 large lemon
- 1 large strawberry (optional)
- For the Custard: In a large, heavy saucepan, add the milk and vanilla, bring to a simmer over medium-high heat then turn of the heat. Put the eggs in a large bowl and whisk 1 cup of the sugar into the eggs. Gradually add the cake flour into the eggs while whisking to incorporate, Ladle 1/4 cup of hot milk into the egg mixture, whisking to incorporate. Repeat with another ladle of hot milk.
- Pour the egg mixture into the milk in the saucepan. Set over medium-low heat and cook, whisking continuously, taking care to scrape the bottom and sides of the pan. The mixture should thicken within 1 minute, then continue to whisk for another 30 seconds. Whisk in the butter, then lower the heat and whisk until thickened, another minute or two. Remove the pan from the heat and allow the custard to cool. Transfer to a bowl, cover loosely with plastic wrap, and chill for at least 1 hour.
- Make Whipped Cream: Put the cream and remaining 1/2 cup of sugar in a bowl and whip with a hand mixer or stand mixer fitted with whisk attachment on high speed until medium peaks form. You should have about 2 1/2 cups of whipped cream.
- Put the custard in a mixing bowl, whisk to smooth it, and use a rubber spatula to fold in half the whipped cream, making a French cream.
- Peel 2 of the bananas and slice them crosswise over the French cream, so the slices fall into the cream.
- Transfer the banana cream to the shell, using a rubber spatula to scrape as much cream out of the bowl as possible and then to level it off in the pie, or mound it high to use all the filling.
- Transfer the remaining whipped cream to a pastry bag fit with the star tip and pipe circles of cream all over the pie. Peel the remaining banana and slice it crosswise on an angle into 8 pieces. Toss the banana slices with lemon juice to prevent from oxidizing. Arrange the banana slices at even intervals around the edge of the pie. If using a strawberry, place in the center of the pie.
- Tip: If your eggs curdle when whisking into the hot cream mixture, then put through a fine mesh sieve to get rid of the lumps.
Asian Chicken Meatball Sub
Nashville Hot Fish with Hushpuppies
Braised Pork Chilaquiles
Autumn Pinata Cake
Bundt Pan Lasagna
Red Wine Braised Short Ribs with Gremolata
Fall Harvest Hungarian Goulash
Stuffed Sweet Potatoes with Curried Yogurt and Scallions
Poached Pears with Mascarpone Cream
Bella Notte Spaghetti
Ratatouille Tarte Tatin