Use this tomato sauce as the base for a countless number of pasta, meat, or pizza dishes.
Basic Tomato Sauce
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 Spanish onion (1/4-inch dice)
- 4 cloves garlic (thinly sliced)
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh thyme leaves (or 1 tablespoon dried thyme)
- 1/2 medium carrot (finely grated)
- 2 cans peeled whole tomatoes (28 ounces each, crushed by hand, juices reserved)
- salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Add olive oil to a medium saucepan and place over medium heat. Once hot, add the onion and garlic, and season with salt and pepper. Sauté until translucent and slightly caramelized, about 8 to 10 minutes.
- Add the thyme and carrot, and sauté for 5 more minutes.
- Add the tomatoes and bring to a boil, stirring often. Lower the heat to a simmer. Cook for 30 minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Tip: Refrigerate the sauce in an airtight container for 1 week or freeze for up to 6 months.