Holy Schnikes! A scrumptious schnitzel sandwich that is oh so scrumptious!!
BBQ Chip Schnitzel Sandwich
- 4 pork chops (boneless, 1/4-inch thick)
- 1 cup flour
- 2 eggs (beaten)
- 1 cup BBQ potato chips (crushed)
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce
- 1 lime (juice)
- 1/4 Cup gherkins (chopped, juice reserved)
- 1/2 head iceberg lettuce (thinly sliced)
- 4 telera buns or hoagie rolls (split)
- mayonnaise (to serve)
- pickled jalapenos (to serve)
- 8 slices cooked, crispy bacon
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper (to taste)
- Pound the pork chops until very thin. Season with salt and pepper. Set up a dredging station: place the flour, eggs, and BBQ chips in separate shallow bowls. Season the flour with salt, pepper, and crushed red pepper flakes. Working with one piece at a time, dredge the pork chops in the flour, shaking off excess. Then, coat in egg. Finally, coat with crushed chips.
- Heat olive oil in a nonstick skillet over medium-heat. Once hot, add the dredged pork chops. Cook for 2-3 minutes per side, until golden-brown and cooked through. Remove to a clean work surface and set aside.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, combine the gherkins, lime juice, and hot sauce. Add the iceberg lettuce and toss to coat. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Spread mayonnaise on each of the sandwich buns. Top bun with crispy pork chop, some of the iceberg slaw, some pickled jalapenos, bacon, and serve.
- Helpful Tips:
1. Pound out the pork chops to make it cook through quicker.
2. Bread in the order of flour, eggs, and then, in this recipe, potato chips!
3. Make a slaw out of chopped lettuce, pickles, pickle juice, lime juice, and hot sauce.