Beef and Cabbage Stew
Mario Batali's Beef and Cabbage Stew is perfect for winter!
- step-by-step directions
Beef and Cabbage Stew
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 pounds beef chuck roast (cut into 2-inch chunks)
- 1/4 cup flour
- 2 carrots (peeled, 1/2-inch dice)
- 3 parsnips (peeled, 1/2-inch dice)
- 2 medium sweet potatoes (peeled, 1/2-inch dice)
- 3 cloves garlic (peeled, thinly sliced)
- 1 teaspoon caraway seeds
- 1 teaspoon dried juniper berries (smashed)
- 1 tablespoon thyme leaves
- 1 pilsner-style beer (12 ounces, 2 tablespoons reserved)
- 1 small head cabbage (cored, thinly sliced)
- 3-4 cups chicken stock
- 2 tablespoons butter (softened)
- 3 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1/2 cup parsley (chopped, to garnish)
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper (to taste)
- Preheat a large Dutch oven with olive oil over medium high heat.
- Season beef with salt and pepper. Place flour in baking dish and dredge the beef in the flour. Place in the Dutch oven and cook until browned on all sides, about 7 minutes. Remove to a plate.
- Add the carrots, parsnips and sweet potatoes and season with salt and pepper. Stir to combine and allow to brown on all sides until lightly golden. During the last 5 minutes of cooking, add the garlic, caraway seeds, juniper berries and thyme and stir to combine. Season with salt and pepper.
- Deglaze the pan with the pilsner beer, reserving 2 tablespoons, and allow to reduce slightly. Add the beef back to the pot with the cabbage and chicken stock. Bring to a boil then reduce to a simmer and allow to cook, covered, for 45 minutes to 1 hour or until the beef is tender.
- Once the beef is tender whisk the reserved 2 tablespoons of beer with the Dijon mustard. Whisk the paste into the braise liquid and allow to simmer until slightly thickened. If the liquid become too thick, add more chicken stock. Garnish with parsley.
- Tip: Perfect meal to make ahead and freeze for a weeknight dinner on the fly!
Similar categories: Soups & Stews
Sweet Potato Croquettes
Bubble and Squeak with Poached Eggs and Mixed Greens Salad
Bacon Lattice Wrapped Turkey
Greek-Style Spatchcock Turkey
Pumpkin Angel Food Cake with Caramel Sauce
Puff Pastry Almond Snowflakes
Pear Pie Spring Rolls
Puff Pastry Almond Twists
Apple Cider Sangria
Spatchcock Turkey with Stuffing
Sheet Pan Butternut Squash Soup
Spinach and Feta Puffs