Curtis kicks off the warm weather with the perfect summer feast
Beef Rissoles with Grilled Potatoes
- Potato Salad
- 2 pound Yukon Gold Potatoes (peeled; cut into 1 1/2" cubes)
- 1 cup Chicken Stock
- 1/4 cup Shallots (sliced)
- 3 tablespoons Finely Chopped Cornichons
- 2 tablespoons Drained Capers
- 4 ounces Bacon (cooked and finely diced)
- 2 tablespoons Finely Chopped Fresh Flat Leaf Parsley
- 3 tablespoons Mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon Mustard
- Kosher Salt & Freshly Ground Black Pepper
- Beef Rissoles
- 1 pound Ground Beef
- 1 ounce Bacon (finely chopped)
- 1/2 small Onion; finely chopped
- 1 Garlic Clove; finely chopped
- 1 1/2 tablespoons Chopped Flat Leaf Parsley
- 4 teaspoon Chopped Fresh Thyme Leaves
- 2 teaspoons Dijon Mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon Ground Paprika
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire Sauce
- 1 large Egg; lightly beaten
- Olive Oil (to brush Rissoles)
- Baby Greens
- 2 tablespoons Vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Finely Chopped Shallot
- 3 tablespoon Extra-Virgin Olive Oil
- 6 cups Mixed Spring Greens
- To make the Potato Salad: Place the Potatoes in a large pot of Salted Water and bring the water to a boil. Continue to boil for about 10 minutes, or until just tender. When the Potatoes are done, a sharp knife should be able to pierce the Potato easily and the Potato should glide off the knife without falling apart.
- Using a colander, drain the water from the Potatoes and gently shake the Potatoes in the colander to allow the excess water to drain away. Transfer the Potatoes to a large bowl.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, bring the Chicken Broth to a simmer over high heat. Once the Broth boils, add the Shallot, Cornichons, and Capers. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer very gently for 2 minutes or until the Shallots soften slightly.
- Add one-third of the Broth mixture to the hot Potatoes and, using a silicone spatula, gently fold the Potatoes with the Broth mixture for about 2 minutes, or until most of the Broth has been absorbed. Repeat, adding all of the solids and enough of the stock to moisten. While folding the broth mixture into the Potatoes, the Potatoes should break down a bit. Set aside.
- In a heavy large nonstick frying pan, cook the Bacon over medium-high heat for about 10 minutes, or until crisp and golden brown. Transfer the Bacon to a plate lined with paper towels and cool slightly.
- Gently fold the Bacon and Parsley into the warm Potatoes. Gently fold the Mayonnaise and Mustard into the Potatoes. Season to taste with Salt and Pepper. Serve warm, room temperature, or chilled.
- To make the Rissoles: In a large bowl, combine the Ground Beef, Bacon, Onion, Garlic, Parsley, Thyme, Mustard, Paprika, Worcestershire Sauce, and Egg. Season with Salt and Pepper. Mix well and form into 8 round balls, then flatten into 1/2-inch-thick rissoles.
- Preheat a barbecue or indoor grill pan to medium-high heat. Brush the Rissoles with Oil and cook for 6 to 8 minutes, turning once, or until golden brown on both sides and cooked through. Remove from the heat and rest for 5 minutes.
- To prepare the Spring Greens and serve: In a medium bowl, whisk the Vinegar and Shallot to blend. Whisk in the Olive Oil. Season to taste with Salt and Pepper. In a large bowl, toss the Greens with enough dressing to coat. Season to taste with Salt and Pepper.
- Serve the Greens with the Rissoles and Potato Salad.