Michael's tasty sausage sandwich is one not to miss!
Beer Bratwurst Sandwich
- Olive Oil
- 2 large Yellow onions (sliced thinly)
- 3 Cloves Garlic (minced)
- Kosher Salt
- Freshly Ground Black Pepper
- Malt Vinegar (to taste)
- 4 Stout Beers
- 6 Bratwursts
- 6 Soft Hoagie Rolls
- Ballpark Mustard (for garnish)
- Place a heavy bottomed sauté pan over medium high heat. When the pan is hot, add a film of olive oil followed by the onions with a large pinch of salt. Cook, stirring occasionally until the onions begin to soften and release some of their liquid. Next add the garlic and turn the heat down to medium low. Cook, stirring occasionally until the onions are heavily browned and caramelized.
- In the meantime, place a small stockpot over medium high heat. Pour all four beers in and bring to a strong simmer. Add the bratwurst to the beer and poach until just about cooked through, 15-20 minutes. In the meantime, preheat your grill or grill pan to medium high heat. When the bratwursts are almost done, remove them from the liquid and place on the grill. Grill on all sides until nicely grill marked then remove and set aside.
- To finish the onions, ladle about 1 cup of the beer poaching liquid or more fresh beer to the pan. Mix, scraping the bottom of the pan, add some freshly cracked pepper, and let everything reduce and blend together.
- To serve: Spread a nice amount of stadium mustard on to the hoagie roll followed by a grilled bratwurst. Top with some of the caramelized onions and serve alongside some onion rings!