Beer Can Turkey
Beer can chicken, nuts to that! Serve up easy-to-make beer can turkey instead!
- step-by-step directions
Beer Can Turkey
- 12 pound turkey, rinsed and patted dry, cavity cleaned
- 2 , 25.4 ounce cans of lager style beer
- 1 Cup water
- 3 tablespoons dried oregano
- 3 tablespoons garlic powder
- 2 tablespoons smoked paprika
- 2 tablespoons coriander, toasted and ground
- 1 tablespoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Preheat grill to 350°F.
- Using a can opener, remove the top from one of the beers. Pour 1/3 of the beer into the roasting pan then set the beer in the center.
- Combine the oregano, garlic powder, smoked paprika, coriander, salt and pepper in a small bowl. Place the turkey on a cutting board. Squeeze lemon juice all over the inside and outside of the turkey. Rub the spice mix all over the outside and inside the cavity of the bird. Put extra seasoning inside the opened beer can. Place the seasoned turkey on top of the beer can, with the legs down. Pour half of the second beer into the bottom of the roasting pan along with 1 cup of water. Carefully place on the grill, being very careful to stabilize the bird. Close the lid of the grill and cook for 1 hour. Open the grill and pour the other half of the beer over the turkey. Close the grill and cook for 1 more hour. Then, baste the turkey with juices from the bottom of the pan. If the turkey begins to look a little dark, tent the top with foil. Let cook for another 30 minutes or until the internal temperature of the leg to reaches 165°F.
- Remove from the grill and baste one more time before tenting with foil and resting for 30 minutes. After 30 minutes, slice and serve!
- Check the internal temperature of the turkey after 2 hours, to ensure you do not overcook the bird!
- Use your oven, preheated at 350 degrees F, instead of the grill.
Similar categories: Ingredients Chicken & Poultry Courses & Meals Dinner Holidays & Occasions Thanksgiving Thanksgiving Turkey Christmas
Cannelloni al Forno
Skordalia and Roasted Beets
Rock Shrimp and Egg Sandwich
Apple Tarte Tatin
Buttermilk Semifreddo with Candied Peaches
Cast-Iron Blueberry Cobbler
Green Chicken Enchiladas
Savory Breakfast Cauliflower Bake
Sausage Gravy and Bacon Biscuits
Italian Egg Boat