An All-American favorite with an Italian twist
Bisnonna's Italy Girl Not So Fried Chicken
- 6 - 3 ounces Organic Chicken Thighs boneless & without skin (trim off any excess fat; thigh can be cut up into strips for kids size)
- 3 tablespoons flour (seasoned with salt; Pepper & Garlic Powder)
- 2 Egg Whites
- 2 tablespoons Lemon Juice & Lemon Zest (use to your taste preference)
- 2 tablespoons Dijon Mustard
- 1 cup Whole-Wheat Panko (or homemade breadcrumbs from left over wheat bread dried; toasted & crushed)
- 1/8 pound Parmesan Cheese freshly grated
- 3 tablespoons Italian Parsley (finely chopped)
- 2 tablespoons fresh Basil (ripped or chopped)
- 1 teaspoon each of dry Basil & Parsley
- 1 teaspoon Garlic Powder
- Sea Salt & Pepper (to taste)
- 3 tablespoon Spanish or Greek Olive Oil (for sauté)
- 1 quick mist of Olive Oil on foil to keep Chicken from sticking
1. Salt and Pepper chicken to taste.
2. Add a little Salt, Pepper and Garlic to the Flour.
3. Mix Lemon Juice, Mustard, Salt with Egg Whites and beat.
4. Add all other ingredients into Breadcrumb mixture.
A. First dip Chicken Pieces into Seasoned Flour and shake off to remove any extra Flour.
B. Next dip into Egg mixture.
C. Then roll into Breadcrumb Cheese mixture making sure the pieces are coated well. The dipping stages can also be done in big plastic bags if you want to keep the mess down or you are working with smaller children.
- Make sure you wash your hands after playing with the chicken to coat it.
- Next sauté the chicken 2 pieces at a time in 1 tablespoon of Olive Oil for each 2 pieces. Cook in well season cast iron skillet until golden brown.
- Place browned Chicken on a rack above a roasting pan or on foil covered baking sheets sprayed with a touch of Oil spray and bake at 350° for 30 to 45 minutes. Check at about 25 minutes. If you are making the Chicken Strips they will probably only need 10 minutes in the oven. Thermometer should read 160°. Enjoy chicken warm or cold.