Bake this soup to create flaky crust and finish off with some delicious Parmigiano-Reggiano!
Black Truffle Soup
- 1 sheet Puff Pastry (thawed)
- 2 batches Egg Wash (1 Egg Yolk whisked with 1 tablespoon water)
- 1 Carrot (peeled and finely diced)
- 1 Celery Rib (finely diced)
- 1 Onion (finely diced)
- 1/2 cup Cremini Mushrooms (cleaned)
- Freshly Cracked Black Pepper
- 1 pound Poached Chicken Breast (thinly sliced)
- 2 quarts Strong Chicken Stock
- 1/4 cup White Vermouth
- 1 ounce Black Truffle
- Freshly Grated Parmigiano-Reggiano (to garnish)
- On a lightly floured surface, roll Puff Pastry to 1/8 inch thickness. Cut out circles that are 1 inch larger in diameter than the oven-safe soup bowl being used. Place the circles on the back of a baking sheet and brush with Egg Wash. Place in the fridge to chill while preparing the rest of the soup.
- Preheat oven to 425º F.
- Heat a large skillet over medium with a few tablespoons of Butter. Once Butter foam subsides add the Vegetables, season with Salt and Pepper, and sauté until soft and Mushroom liquid has evaporated. Remove from heat and allow to cool. Divide the Vegetable mixture and Chicken among the bowls.
- Divide the Chicken Stock and Vermouth among the bowls making sure to fill at least 1/2-inch from top. Add shaved Truffle to taste.
- Brush the edges of the bowls and slightly down the sides with Egg Wash. Remove the pastry from the fridge and place over the bowls, pulling the edges so the dough is tight over the top of the bowls. Top with freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano.
- Place bowls onto a baking sheet and bake for 20-30 minutes or until dough is rich golden and puffed.
- Remove from oven and serve immediately.