Blackberry Pastry Roll
Carla Hall's Blackberry Roly Poly
- Butter for greasing
- 1 1/4 cups Self Rising Flour (plus more for dusting)
- 2 tablespoon gs Granulated Sugar
- 1/2 teaspoooon Salt
- 1/3 cup Vegetable Shortening
- 1/3 cup Milk
- 1/2 cup Blackberry Jam
- Greek Yogurt to serve
- Heavy Cream to serve
For the Blackberry Jam:
- 3 cups fresh Blackberries (crushed)
- 1 ounce Powdered Pectin
- 3 1/2 cups Granulated Sugar
- 1 Lemon (juice and zest plus more to garnish)
- Preheat an oven to 400 degrees F. Grease a large piece of parchment paper with butter.
- Whisk together the flour, sugar and salt in a large bowl. Work in the vegetable shortening until crumbly. Stir in milk with a wooden spoon until almost completely incorporated. Roll out dough on a lightly floured surface to form a rectangle about 1/4-inch thick. Spread the jam across the surface of the dough leaving a 1-inch border.
- Roll the dough widthwise and seal the edge with your fingers. Place the roll seam side down in the center of the greased parchment. Wrap the roll in the parchment making sure not to wrap too tight. Twist the edges to seal. Wrap the entire package loosely in foil.
- Place the wrapped package on a cooling rack set inside a baking sheet. Place the baking sheet in the oven and pour hot water in the pan making sure the water does not touch the foil. Bake for 45 minutes.
- Carefully remove from the oven and gently pull back the foil and parchment. Allow to cool slightly before slices and serving with lemon zest, and dollop of greek yogurt or splash of cream.
- For the Blackberry Jam: Combine the fruit, sugar and pectin. Bring to a boil in a large sauce pot, stirring to dissolve the sugar. Boil, stirring constantly, for about 2 minutes. Transfer to a jar or bowl and allow to cool completely.
Similar categories: Courses & Meals Breakfast & Brunch Desserts Muffins, Scones, Coffee Cakes & Other Sweet Breads