Blueberry Lemon Poppy Seed Scones with Lemon Glaze
You'll never buy a store bought scone again!
- step-by-step directions
Blueberry Lemon Poppy Seed Scones:
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 stick unsalted butter (cold, cubed)
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons poppy seeds
- 1 whole lemon (zested)
- 1 large egg (beaten)
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 cup fresh blueberries
- clotted cream (to serve)
- lemon curd (to serve)
- 1 cup confectioner's sugar
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- Preheat the oven to 375ºF. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- For the Scones: In a large bowl add the flour and butter. Using a pastry cutter or two forks, cut butter into flour until pea-sized lumps form.
- Add sugar, baking powder, salt, poppy seeds, lemon zest and toss using forks to combine.
- In a small bowl, whisk together egg and milk and add to the flour mixture, stirring gently with a fork until just combined. Fold in the blueberries. Dough should be crumbly but still come together. On a floured surface, with floured hands, press the dough into a rough circle, about 3/4-inches thick. Cut into 8 wedges and transfer to a baking sheet.
- Place in the oven and bake for 20-25 minutes, until scones are golden brown. Remove from the oven and allow to cool slightly.
- For the Lemon Glaze: In a small bowl, whisk together confectioner's sugar and lemon juice. Using a spoon, drizzle glaze over cooled scones.
- Serve with clotted cream and lemon curd.
- Tip: Make a large batch of these scones and freeze before baking for a freshly baked breakfast every day of the week!
Similar categories: Muffins, Scones, Coffee Cakes & Other Sweet Breads Bread & Pastry Appetizers Breakfast & Brunch
BBQ Pork Dumplings
Spicy Orange Glazed Chicken Thighs with Shaved Carrot Salad
Kandi's Creamed Corn
Classic German Chocolate Cake
Almond Braised Chicken Thighs with Butternut Squash and Brussels Sprouts
Halibut en Papillotte
Cookies and Cream Sweetheart
Linguine with White Clam Sauce
Mardi Gras Baked Alaska