Braised Country Ribs
Love a rib!
- step-by-step directions
Braised Country Ribs
- 6 pounds country ribs (cut from the blade end of the loin)
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 stalks celery (coarsely chopped)
- 1 carrot (peeled, coarsely chopped)
- 1 large onion (peeled, coarsely chopped)
- 1 fresno chili (halved)
- 5 sprigs thyme
- 3 salt-packed anchovies (rinsed)
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 head garlic (cloves peeled)
- 1 quart chicken stock
- 2 cups white wine
- 1/3 cup apple cider
- 1/4 cup parsley (chopped, to garnish)
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper (to taste)
- The day before cooking, season the country ribs with salt and pepper and refrigerate.
- The next day, remove the ribs from the refrigerator 30 minutes before cooking and allow to come to room temperature.
- Preheat the oven to 325ºF.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add half of the ribs and sear on all sides until browned, about 7-9 minutes Transfer the ribs to the plate and repeat with the remaining ribs.
- Pour off all but 2 to 3 tablespoons of fat from the pan. Add the celery, carrot, onion and chili to the pan along with a large pinch of salt, and cook over medium heat until softened, about 7 minutes. Add the thyme sprigs, anchovies, bay leaf, garlic and cook, stirring for 2 minutes. Add the stock, wine, apple cider and bring to a boil. Return the ribs to the pan, cover and braise in the oven for 1 hour.
- Lower the temperature to 225ºF and cook or 4 hours or until the meat is very tender. Remove the ribs to a large bowl and strain the liquid into the bowl. Discard the solids and refrigerate overnight.
- To serve, skim the congealed fat off of the liquid and reheat the ribs in the liquid. Remove the ribs to a serving platter and cover to keep warm while you simmer the liquid to reduce it by half. Pour the sauce over the ribs and garnish with parsley.
- Tip: Remove any leftover rib meat from the bone and turn it into a sandwich for lunch the following day!
rate this recipe
Red Wine Salted Popcorn
Chocolate Baseball Extravaganza
Gazpacho Bloody Mary
Thai Fried Shrimp Cakes with Sweet Chili Sauce
Fried Peach Hand-Pies
Taco Grilled Cheese
Lemon Tendercake with Blueberry Compote
Bacon Wrapped Grilled Cheese
Jam & Gin
Bacon and Ramp Scrambled Eggs