Start the day off in a unique way with a breakfast pie!
- step-by-step directions
- 1 cup canned Whole Peeled Tomatoes
- Kosher Salt
- 2 tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1/4 pound Pancetta (diced medium)
- 1/2 pound Mozzarella Cheese (shredded)
- 4 large Eggs
- 1 handful Fresh Basil Leaves
- Pizza Dough
- 1 envelope Active Dry Yeast (1/4 ounce)
- 1/2 cup Lukewarm Water
- 4 cups Bread Flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Salt
- 1/4 cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil (plus more for greasing)
- All-Purpose Flour (for dusting)
- Pizza Dough: In a stand mixer fitted with the dough hook, combine the Yeast, Lukewarm Water, & 1/2 cup of the Bread Flour. Mix well & let it sit for 30 minutes, or until bubbly, like foamy beer.
- In a separate medium bowl, whisk together the remaining 3 1/2 cups of Bread Flour & the Salt until evenly combined.
- Add 3/4 cup of Cold Water & the Olive Oil to the Yeast mixture. Turn on the mixer & begin adding the Flour mixture in the increments, then mix for 5 minutes, until the dough starts creeping up the dough hook & detaching from the sides of the bowl.
- Grease a large bowl with Oil & transfer the dough to the bowl. Turn the dough to coat its surface with Oil. Cover the bowl loosely with a tea towel. Let the dough rise until doubled in size, about 2 hours. Punch the dough down, then let rise another 1 hour.
- Divide the dough into 4 equal pieces & form into discs. On a work surface lightly dusted with Flour, use your fingers or the heel of your hand (and a rolling pin, if you prefer) to stretch the discs until they're 13 inches in diameter. The disc should be very thin, less than 1/8 inch.
- Breakfast Pizza: Place a pizza stone in the oven & preheat to 500°F for 1 hour before baking. (Or preheat a wood-fired pizza oven to very hot, 4 hours before baking.)
- In a food processor, puree the Tomatoes until smooth. Season with Salt to taste.
- In a skillet, heat the Olive Oil & Pancetta over medium heat & cook for 5 to 7 minutes, or until crisp.
- Using a spoon, spread one-fourth of the pureed Tomatoes on 1 disc of dough, leaving a 1-inch border all around. Sprinkle one-fourth of the Mozzarella on top.
- Gently place the pizza on the pizza stone and bake for about 5 minutes, until golden with slight signs of charring (If using a wood-fired oven, gently place the pizza on the oven floor, and bake for 3 minutes, or until golden and crisp).
- Remove the pizza from the oven & break an Egg over the center of the pizza. Top with one-fourth of the cooked Pancetta, return the pizza to the oven, and bake another 3 to 4 minutes (1 to 2 minutes if using a wood fired oven), until the Egg is cooked.
- Remove the pizza from the oven, transfer to a cutting board, and top with one-fourth of the Basil. Serve immediately. Repeat with the remaining 3 pizza discs.
Peach Cobbler with Raspberry Coulis
Havarti and Horseradish Stovetop Mac and Cheese
Spicy Honey Dijon Coleslaw
Spice-Rubbed Smoked Chicken
Grilled Lamb Chops and Plums with Mint Pesto
Red Velvet Cannoli Cake
Grilled Soy Chicken Thighs with Honeydew Relish
Pineapple Teriyaki Chicken Meatballs
Banana Split Ice Cream Cupcake Bar
T-Bone Steak with Green Bean Salad