Start the day off in a unique way with a breakfast pie!
- 1 cup canned Whole Peeled Tomatoes
- Kosher Salt
- 2 tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1/4 pound Pancetta (diced medium)
- 1/2 pound Mozzarella Cheese (shredded)
- 4 large Eggs
- 1 handful Fresh Basil Leaves
- Pizza Dough
- 1 envelope Active Dry Yeast (1/4 ounce)
- 1/2 cup Lukewarm Water
- 4 cups Bread Flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Salt
- 1/4 cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil (plus more for greasing)
- All-Purpose Flour (for dusting)
- Pizza Dough: In a stand mixer fitted with the dough hook, combine the Yeast, Lukewarm Water, & 1/2 cup of the Bread Flour. Mix well & let it sit for 30 minutes, or until bubbly, like foamy beer.
- In a separate medium bowl, whisk together the remaining 3 1/2 cups of Bread Flour & the Salt until evenly combined.
- Add 3/4 cup of Cold Water & the Olive Oil to the Yeast mixture. Turn on the mixer & begin adding the Flour mixture in the increments, then mix for 5 minutes, until the dough starts creeping up the dough hook & detaching from the sides of the bowl.
- Grease a large bowl with Oil & transfer the dough to the bowl. Turn the dough to coat its surface with Oil. Cover the bowl loosely with a tea towel. Let the dough rise until doubled in size, about 2 hours. Punch the dough down, then let rise another 1 hour.
- Divide the dough into 4 equal pieces & form into discs. On a work surface lightly dusted with Flour, use your fingers or the heel of your hand (and a rolling pin, if you prefer) to stretch the discs until they're 13 inches in diameter. The disc should be very thin, less than 1/8 inch.
- Breakfast Pizza: Place a pizza stone in the oven & preheat to 500°F for 1 hour before baking. (Or preheat a wood-fired pizza oven to very hot, 4 hours before baking.)
- In a food processor, puree the Tomatoes until smooth. Season with Salt to taste.
- In a skillet, heat the Olive Oil & Pancetta over medium heat & cook for 5 to 7 minutes, or until crisp.
- Using a spoon, spread one-fourth of the pureed Tomatoes on 1 disc of dough, leaving a 1-inch border all around. Sprinkle one-fourth of the Mozzarella on top.
- Gently place the pizza on the pizza stone and bake for about 5 minutes, until golden with slight signs of charring (If using a wood-fired oven, gently place the pizza on the oven floor, and bake for 3 minutes, or until golden and crisp).
- Remove the pizza from the oven & break an Egg over the center of the pizza. Top with one-fourth of the cooked Pancetta, return the pizza to the oven, and bake another 3 to 4 minutes (1 to 2 minutes if using a wood fired oven), until the Egg is cooked.
- Remove the pizza from the oven, transfer to a cutting board, and top with one-fourth of the Basil. Serve immediately. Repeat with the remaining 3 pizza discs.
Similar categories: Breakfast & Brunch