Broccoli Cheddar Oatmeal Bake
A delicious way to use your Quaker Oats!
- step-by-step directions
- 1 head garlic (halved widthwise)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 cups broccoli florets
- cooking spray
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups low fat milk (divided)
- 1/2 cup nonfat Greek yogurt
- 1/2 cup cheddar cheese (shredded, divided)
- 1 teaspoon mustard powder
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- cooking spray (to grease)
- 1 teaspoon roasted garlic (recipe above)
- steamed broccoli (recipe above)
- 2 cups Quaker Oats
- 1 recipe bechamel sauce (recipe above)
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper (to taste)
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF.
- For the Roasted Garlic: To a piece of foil, add the halved garlic head and drizzle with olive oil. Bring all four corners of the foil together and pinch closed to create a bundle, and place directly on the oven rack. Roast until the garlic is soft, slightly brown in color, and fragrant, about 40 minutes. Remove from oven and squeeze the cloves out onto a cutting board. Mash 1 teaspoon of roasted garlic and set aside. Save any extra roasted garlic for another use.
- For the Broccoli: Prepare a baking sheet with parchment paper. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, add broccoli and toss with cooking spray. Season with salt pepper. Remove to prepared baking sheet. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown.
- For the Bechamel: Heat a medium sauce pot over medium heat and add unsalted butter. Add flour and stir until a paste forms. While whisking, slowly add milk and whisk until smooth. Allow to simmer until thickened about 7-10 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in the nonfat Greek yogurt, 1/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese, mustard powder, paprika, and season with salt and pepper. Stir until cheese is fully melted and creamy in texture. Set aside.
- For the Oats: Bring a medium pot of water to a boil. Season with salt.
- Once the water is boiling, add oats. Cook 3 minutes or until tender. Drain. Remove into a large bowl.
- For the Oatmeal Bake: Grease an 8-by-8-inch baking dish with cooking spray and set aside. Preheat the oven to broil.
- To the large bowl with the cooked oats, add the roasted garlic, roasted broccoli and bechamel sauce. Season with salt and pepper. Stir until just combined and remove to the baking dish. Top with remaining 1/4 cup cheese.
- Add the broccoli mixture and top with 1/4 cup remaining cheese. Place under broiler and cook until browned. About 3-4 minutes. Let cool for 5 minutes and serve.
- Tip: Add your favorite roasted vegetables to this delicious oat bake!
rate this recipe
Chicken Cordon Bleu
Pressure Cooker Pulled Pork Sandwiches
Greek Pasta Salad
Cheesy Garlic Donuts
Red Wine Salted Popcorn
Chocolate Baseball Extravaganza
Gazpacho Bloody Mary
Thai Fried Shrimp Cakes with Sweet Chili Sauce
Fried Peach Hand-Pies
Taco Grilled Cheese
Lemon Tendercake with Blueberry Compote
Bacon Wrapped Grilled Cheese