Broccoli Crust Pizza
A healthy alternative to your usual pizza!
- step-by-step directions
Broccoli Pizza Crust:
- 2 heads broccoli (stems removed)
- 1 egg (beaten)
- 1/3 cup Parmesan cheese (grated)
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- pinch Kosher salt
- 1 bunch broccolini (rinsed)
- 1/4 pound brussel sprouts (ends removed, halved)
- 2 large kale leaves (rinsed)
- 1/4 pound sugar snap peas (trimmed)
- 1/4 cup olive oil (plus more to garnish)
- 4 cloves garlic (peeled, minced, divided)
- 1/2 cup canned tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon fresh oregano (finely chopped)
- 1 teaspoon fresh rosemary (finely chopped)
- 1/2 cup grape tomatoes (halved)
- store bought basil pesto (to garnish)
- Parmesan (grated, to garnish)
- red chili flake (to garnish)
- 1/4 cup fresh basil (torn, to garnish)
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper (to taste)
- For the Broccoli Pizza Crust: Preheat the oven to 400ºF. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In the bowl of a food processor, fitted with the blade attachment, pulse the broccoli florets until fine and resembles rice. Remove to a large, microwave safe bowl, and stir in 2 cups of water. Place in the microwave and heat for 2 minutes.
- Line a colander with cheesecloth or a clean dish towel. Stain the broccoli and squeeze as much moisture as possible. Remove broccoli to a large bowl. Whisk in egg, Parmesan cheese, oregano and salt, mixing well.
- Remove the broccoli mixture to the prepared baking sheet and press together with hands to form the pizza shape desired, about 1/4-inch thick.
- Place in the oven and bake until golden brown, about 40 minutes. Remove from the oven and allow to cool, leaving the oven on.
- For the Pizza Toppings: Preheat a grill or grill pan to medium-high heat.
- In a large bowl, add broccolini, brussel sprouts, kale leaves, sugar snap peas, olive oil and 2 cloves of minced garlic. Season with salt and pepper and toss to combine. Remove the broccolini and brussel sprouts to grill pan, and grill until a nice char forms and vegetables are tender, about 3-5 minutes. Remove from the grill pan and set aside. Place the kale leaves and snap peas on the grill, and cook for about 1-2 minutes. Remove from the grill pan and add to the rest of the grilled vegetables.
- Remove the ribs and roughly chop the kale.
- In a medium bowl, add the remaining 2 cloves of minced garlic, tomato paste, oregano and rosemary, stirring to combine. Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Spread the tomato mixture on the bottom of the cooked broccoli crust and top with Parmesan cheese. Top with grilled vegetables.
- Drizzle basil pesto, a little more olive oil and some chili flakes. Return pizza to the oven to warm through, about 8-10 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and finish with torn basil. Slice and serve warm.
- Tip: Customize it! Use your favorite pizza toppings for a guilt-free pizza night!
Bruschetta with Ricotta and Pepita Gremolata
Fresh Veggie Frittata
Skirt Steak with Ginger Gold Apples
Mini Pumpkin Cheesecakes
Breaded Pork Tenderloin Sandwiches with Sauteed Peppers
Oven Roasted Salmon with Purple Cauliflower Puree and a Buttermilk Dill Slaw
Chicken Scallopini with Red Wine Mushroom Sauce
Skordalia and Roasted Beets
Pesto Chicken Cauliflower Bowl
Fluke with Brown Butter and Lemon Sauce
Peach Slab Pie