Not your traditional slice, bake this up and bring it on your next picnic for a unique twist on an Italian classic!
Broccoli Rabe and Goat Cheese Pizza
- 3/4 cup + 1 tablespoon Flour
- 1/2 teaspoon Instant Yeast
- 1/2 teaspoon Sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 1/3 cup Water (between 70°F and 90°F)
- 4 teaspoons Olive Oil
- 1 head of Broccoli Rabe (cleaned)
- 3 cloves of Garlic (chopped)
- 3 ounces Fresh Goat Cheese (broken into dime-sized pieces)
- 1/4 cup mixed blend of Grated Cheeses (Romano; Provolone and Parmesan)
- 1/8 teaspoon Crushed Red Pepper Flakes (to taste)
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 3-4 tablespoons Olive Oil
- Preheat oven to 475°F. Place pizza stone in oven and preheat for at least 1 hour.
- In a small bowl, whisk Flour, Yeast & Sugar, and then whisk in the Salt.
- Make a well in center & pour in Water.
- Use a spatula or wooden spoon and gradually stir in Flour until moistened and dough begins to form, about 20 seconds. It should be a little sticky. Do not over mix.
- Pour Oil in a 2 cup measuring cup or small bowl. Put dough in cup and turn dough in cup to coat with Oil. Cover tight with plastic wrap and let sit for 1 hour or until doubled.
- Remove dough from cup, and use leftover Oil to coat pizza pan. Put dough on pan & press with fingers to deflate it gently. Shape into a smooth ball by tucking under edges. Knead very lightly till smooth then allow to sit 15 minutes covered, to relax. Use your fingers to press from center to edge of pan, about 10 inches. Brush with any remaining Oil. Cover with plastic and let sit 30 minutes until slightly puffy.
- Prick dough with a fork and set pizza pan directly onto pizza stone. Bake for 5 minutes, until lightly golden.
- Remove from oven and add toppings.
- Bring a large pot of Salted Water to a rolling boil, and prepare an ice bath. Par-boil the Broccoli Rabe for about 3 minutes, and then transfer to ice bath to stop the cooking. Drain and dry well.
- Heat a large sauté pan over medium-high heat. Add 3 tablespoons of Olive Oil, and once hot, add the Garlic and Broccoli and cook until softened and fragrant. Remove from heat. Add Salt & Pepper to taste and a few sprinkles of Crushed Red Pepper Flakes.
- Cut Broccoli Rabe into 1/2- 3/4 inch pieces. Arrange on top of parbaked pizza dough. Scatter the Goat Cheese over the Broccoli and then sprinkle with a heaping handful of the Cheese Blend.
- Drizzle a little Olive Oil and bake for 10- 15 minutes.