Burgundy Beef Stew
Beef Stew with Carrots, Mushrooms, and Pearl Onions
- step-by-step directions
Burgundy Beef Stew
- 2 pounds Beef Chuck (cut into 1 to 1 1/2-inch chunks)
- Olive Oil
- Salt and freshly Ground Pepper
- 1 pound Carrots (peeled and cut in 1-inch diagonal pieces)
- 4 ribs Celery (diced)
- 1/2 pound Pearl Onions (peeled)
- 1/2 pound Cremini or Button Mushrooms (quartered)
- 3 cloves Garlic (chopped)
- 1/2 bottle Full Bodied Red Wine
- 1/4 cup Flat Leaf Parsley (chopped; stems reserved)
- 3 sprigs Thyme
- 1 Bay Leaf
- 1/2 bunch Sage
- Preheat oven to 300F degrees. Season the beef generously with salt. In a large dutch oven over medium-high heat, add the olive oil, and once smoking, deeply sear the beef on all sides.
- Remove the beef to a plate with tongs. Carefully drain the fat, but do not clean the pan. Add a tablespoon of olive oil. Add the carrots, celery, mushrooms, and pearl onions and sauté until vegetables are browned in places, though not necessarily softened, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and sauté until fragrant, about a minute. Deglaze the pan with red wine, scraping the bottom of the pan with a wooden spoon.
- Add the beef back to the pan and add water just to cover. Tie the parsley stems and thyme sprigs together with butcher's twine. Add the herb bundle and bay leaf, and bring to a boil. Cover, and place in the oven. Cook for 1 1/2 hours or until beef and vegetables are very tender.
- Remove the parsley stems, thyme sprigs, and bay leaf. Check seasonings and adjust if necessary. Serve with brown butter mashed potatoes and fried sage leaves.
- To fry sage leaves: In a skillet over medium heat, heat 1/4 cup of olive oil until hot. Add a few sage leaves (do not crowd pan) and fry 2 to 3 seconds. Remove from oil to a paper towel lined plate. Sprinkle immediately with salt. Repeat with remaining sage leaves.
Skordalia and Roasted Beets
Rock Shrimp and Egg Sandwich
Apple Tarte Tatin
Buttermilk Semifreddo with Candied Peaches
Cast-Iron Blueberry Cobbler
Green Chicken Enchiladas
Savory Breakfast Cauliflower Bake
Sausage Gravy and Bacon Biscuits
Italian Egg Boat
Waffle Pies with Herbed Eggs
Chai Tea Oatmeal