Butternut Squash Bread
A tasty dessert that's gluten-free!
- step-by-step directions
Butternut Squash Bread:
- 1 medium butternut squash
- 1 cup Jennifer's Way Bakery All-Purpose Flour Mix
- 1 cup buckwheat flour
- 1 teaspoon aluminum-free baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 tablespoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon Himalayan salt
- 1/2 very ripe banana
- 1/2 cup real maple syrup (plus more to garnish)
- 1/3 cup coconut oil or palm shortening
- 1/4 cup plain coconut yogurt (or other nondairy yogurt), no added fruit or sweetener
- 1/2 cup full-fat canned coconut milk (or nondairy milk of choice)
- 1/3 cup chopped pecans
Jennifer's Way Bakery All-Purpose Flour Mix:
- 1 cup sorghum flour
- 1 cup quinoa flour
- 1/2 cup amaranth flour
- 3/4 cup arrowroot starch
- 1/4 cup potato starch
- 1 1/2 teaspoons xanthan gum
- Preheat the oven to 375˚F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Line a 9 x 5-inch loaf pan with parchment (or lightly coat it with coconut oil and sprinkle all-purpose flour mix or buckwheat flour lightly over the bottom and sides).
- Peel the squash and cut it into cubes. (To make this a little easier, first pierce the squash all over and put it in the microwave on high for five minutes.) Place the squash on the lined baking sheet and roast until a fork goes through easily, about 40 minutes, depending on how big your cubes are. Set aside to cool.
- When cool enough to handle, put the squash in a ziptop bag and squeeze together to mash up. Measure out 1 cup. Refrigerate the remainder to use for another recipe (or just to warm up and eat later for a snack).
- In a small bowl, combine all the dry ingredients (through salt) and whisk out any lumps. Using a stand mixer with a paddle attachment, combine the roasted squash, banana, maple syrup, coconut oil, and yogurt. Add the dry ingredients, mixing a little at a time and alternating with the coconut milk. Combine until all the ingredients are mixed well. If the dough seems too dry, add another tablespoon of coconut milk. Fold in the pecans.
- Place the dough in the lined loaf pan. Lightly wet your hands with water and smooth out the top of the dough. Bake in the 375˚F oven for about 35 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Let the bread cool on a cooling rack for at least 40 minutes. Drizzle with maple syrup. Slice and serve!
- For Jennifer's Way Bakery All-Purpose Flour Mix: In a large bowl, combine all the ingredients with a whisk. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 1 month.
- Tip: Mix the leftover mashed squash with cream cheese and spread it on a slice of the Butternut Squash Bread!
Similar categories: Bread & Pastry Appetizers Muffins, Scones, Coffee Cakes & Other Sweet Breads Breakfast & Brunch
Ricotta Gnudi with Brown Butter and Sage
BBQ Pork Dumplings
Spicy Orange Glazed Chicken Thighs with Shaved Carrot Salad
Kandi's Creamed Corn
Classic German Chocolate Cake
Almond Braised Chicken Thighs with Butternut Squash and Brussels Sprouts
Halibut en Papillotte
Cookies and Cream Sweetheart
Linguine with White Clam Sauce