No Mardi Gras party is complete without a big bowl of jambalaya!
- step-by-step directions
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken thighs (cut in 1-inch pieces)
- 1 pound shrimp (peeled and deveined)
- 1 pound Andouille sausage (sliced 1/4-inch rounds)
- 1 red onion (peeled, finely chopped)
- 1 cup green bell pepper (finely chopped)
- 1/2 cup celery (finely chopped)
- 3 cloves garlic (minced)
- 2 jalapenos (sliced)
- 1 can chopped tomatoes (14 ounces)
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 1/2 cups rice
- 3-4 cups chicken stock
- 2 teaspoons hot sauce
- 1/2 cup scallions (sliced plus more for garnish)
- kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper (to taste)
- 2 tablespoons smoked paprika
- 2 teaspoons cayenne
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- In a Dutch oven add olive oil and heat over medium-high heat. In a medium bowl add the paprika, cayenne, thyme, onion powder, and garlic powder. Season chicken and shrimp with 1/2 the Creole seasoning, Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper. Set shrimp aside. Add Andouille sausage and chicken in batches and cook until browned, remove and set aside.
- Add onion, bell pepper, celery, garlic and jalapenos and cook until softened, about 5 minutes. Add remaining spice mixture, tomatoes, bay leaves, rice, stock, and hot sauce. Add the sausage and chicken back to the pot, bring to a boil then reduce to a simmer, cover and cook for 15-20 minutes.
- Remove the Dutch oven from the heat. Add shrimp and scallions to the pot, cover again and allow to cook for 5-10 minutes, until shrimp are tender. Remove bay leaves. Fluff rice and serve.
- The Jambalaya should not be dry. It should have a loose consistency.
- Make a large batch of the spice mixture. Keep on hand whenever making Jambalaya!
Similar categories: Ingredients Pork Fish & Seafood Shrimp Courses & Meals Dinner Soups & Stews Pork Lunch
Mediterranean Stuffed Peppers with Feta Bechamel
Nasi Goreng (Fried Rice) with Chicken
Orecchiette with Sweet Sausage and Rapini
Lemon Coconut Sugar Cookies
Mushroom and Asparagus Risotto
Fried Green Tomato and Pimento Cheese Pizza
Bacon and Cheddar Pierogies
Spring Chicken Stew
Veggie Fried Rice with Oyster Mushrooms
Salmon Burger with Dill and Cucumber