No Mardi Gras party is complete without a big bowl of jambalaya!
- step-by-step directions
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken thighs (cut in 1-inch pieces)
- 1 pound shrimp (peeled and deveined)
- 1 pound Andouille sausage (sliced 1/4-inch rounds)
- 1 red onion (peeled, finely chopped)
- 1 cup green bell pepper (finely chopped)
- 1/2 cup celery (finely chopped)
- 3 cloves garlic (minced)
- 2 jalapenos (sliced)
- 1 can chopped tomatoes (14 ounces)
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 1/2 cups rice
- 3-4 cups chicken stock
- 2 teaspoons hot sauce
- 1/2 cup scallions (sliced plus more for garnish)
- kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper (to taste)
- 2 tablespoons smoked paprika
- 2 teaspoons cayenne
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- In a Dutch oven add olive oil and heat over medium-high heat. In a medium bowl add the paprika, cayenne, thyme, onion powder, and garlic powder. Season chicken and shrimp with 1/2 the Creole seasoning, Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper. Set shrimp aside. Add Andouille sausage and chicken in batches and cook until browned, remove and set aside.
- Add onion, bell pepper, celery, garlic and jalapenos and cook until softened, about 5 minutes. Add remaining spice mixture, tomatoes, bay leaves, rice, stock, and hot sauce. Add the sausage and chicken back to the pot, bring to a boil then reduce to a simmer, cover and cook for 15-20 minutes.
- Remove the Dutch oven from the heat. Add shrimp and scallions to the pot, cover again and allow to cook for 5-10 minutes, until shrimp are tender. Remove bay leaves. Fluff rice and serve.
- The Jambalaya should not be dry. It should have a loose consistency.
- Make a large batch of the spice mixture. Keep on hand whenever making Jambalaya!
Similar categories: Ingredients Pork Fish & Seafood Shrimp Courses & Meals Dinner Soups & Stews Pork Lunch
Rock Shrimp and Egg Sandwich
Apple Tarte Tatin
Buttermilk Semifreddo with Candied Peaches
Cast-Iron Blueberry Cobbler
Green Chicken Enchiladas
Savory Breakfast Cauliflower Bake
Sausage Gravy and Bacon Biscuits
Italian Egg Boat
Waffle Pies with Herbed Eggs
Chai Tea Oatmeal