Caked-Up Bananas Foster
Add a twist to an already delicious dessert!
- step-by-step directions
- 2 sticks butter (softened)
- 4 ounces cream cheese (softened)
- 3 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 5 large eggs (room temperature)
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup milk
- 2 bananas (sliced into 1/2 inch thick slices on a bias)
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 5 tablespoon butter
- kosher salt
- 1/3 cup orange liqueur
- 1/3 cup dark rum
- 1 teaspoon orange zest
- 1 orange (supremed)
- 1 pint vanilla ice cream (for garnish)
- 2 waffle cones (smashed in small pieces)
- For the pound cake: Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a loaf pan with cooking spray and coat lightly in flour.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream together the butter, cream cheese, sugar, zest, vanilla extract, and a pinch of salt. With the mixer on low, add the eggs one at a time.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder and salt. Add to the wet ingredients, alternating with the milk, and stir until just combined, being mindful not to over mix.
- Bake for 1 hour or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Allow to cool on a wire rack.
- Bananas Foster: Slice the cake in 1 1/4-inch thick slices. Using one slice for each serving, butter the pieces of cake on both sides and gently toast in a nonstick skillet and golden brown and crisp.
- Scoop out one scoop of ice cream per serving and place on a baking sheet or plate. Cover with a piece of plastic wrap and use your hands to press the pieces into even disks. Place in freezer until ready to use.
- In a large saute pan, melt butter, once bubbling, add brown sugar and begin cooking until dissolved. Add bananas and cook until caramelized. Add orange liqueur, rum, and orange zest. Carefully tilt pan towards heat to allow flame to ignite and then extinguish. Cook until syrupy and remove from heat.
- Place a piece of pound cake in a shallow bowl and top with a piece of the flattened ice cream. Top with caramelized bananas and plenty of the sauce. Scatter a few orange supremes on each serving and garnish with pieces of crushed waffle cone.
- Tip: Wrap the pound cake in plastic wrap and store at room temperature for up to 5 days or freeze and thaw for an easy dessert.
Braised Chicken Thighs with Escarole and Cannellini Beans
Pumpkin Sweet Rolls
Pumpkin Pot Pie
Chocolate Peanut Butter Pretzel Bark
Shrimp with Sherry Cream Sauce
Bone Broth Lentil Soup
Asian Chicken Meatball Sub
Nashville Hot Fish with Hushpuppies
Braised Pork Chilaquiles
Autumn Pinata Cake
Bundt Pan Lasagna