California Veggie Burger
A delicious Veggie burger!
- step-by-step directions
- 1/4 cup cilantro (chopped)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 head garlic (peeled, roasted)
- 3 and 3/4 cup red kidney beans (drained, rinsed)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil (divided)
- 1 teaspoon garlic (peeled, minced)
- 1 shallot (peeled, finely diced)
- 1 cup green bell pepper (stemmed, seeded, finely chopped)
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
- 1 large egg (beaten)
- 1/2 cup bread crumbs
- 4 slices Monterey Jack cheese
- 1 tablespoon olive oil (divided, plus more if needed)
- 4 whole wheat burger buns
- 1 head green lettuce (leaves picked)
- 1 red onion (peeled, thinly shaved)
- 1 avocado (peeled, pitted, thinly sliced)
- For the Sauce: Preheat the oven to 400ºF.
- Remove the papery skin off the garlic, then cut 1/4-inch off the top of each head. Drizzle 2 tablespoons of olive oil over the garlic and wrap tightly in aluminum foil. Place in the oven and roast until tender and caramelized, about 1 hour. Remove from the oven and allow to cool slightly. Once cool enough to handle, squeeze the cloves into a medium bowl and mash with a fork.
- In a medium bowl mix together the mayonnaise, cilantro and 1 teaspoon of the mashed garlic. Reserve the remaining roasted garlic for another use. Set aside until ready to use.
- For the Burgers: Using a potato masher, mash beans in a large mixing bowl and set aside. In a cast iron skillet over medium-high heat, add 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Add shallot and garlic and cook for 1-2 minutes or until almost translucent. Add bell pepper, chili powder and cayenne and cook until tender, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat and let cool. Once cooled, stir bell pepper mixture into the mashed beans. Add the egg and bread crumbs and mix until well combined. Season with salt and pepper. Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Remove burger mixture from fridge and form into four patties, each 3/4-inch thick. Place cast-iron skillet over medium-high heat and add the remaining 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Cook the patty for 5 minutes on one side until crispy, flip and cook on other side for 3 more minutes or until cooked through. Add one piece of cheese on top of each patty during the last 2 minutes of cooking and allow to melt. Remove from heat.
- To Assemble: Heat a cast-iron skillet or griddle over medium heat. Brush buns with one tablespoon of olive oil. Add buns to toast, about 1-2 minutes per side or until golden brown. Remove buns and set aside to cool.
- Spread the mayonnaise on the bottom of the burger bun, top with a piece of lettuce, patty, red onion and avocado. Repeat with remaining burgers and buns.
- Tip: Make the burger bean patties ahead of time for a stress-free weeknight meal!
Pork Chop Milanese with Peach and Potato Salad
Crispy Everything Bagel Baked Ravioli
Lemon Champagne Float
Salmon with Chimichurri Sauce and Cauliflower Mash
Cornmeal Apple Crumble Skillet
Camp Stew (Budae Jiggae)
Pork and Beef Meatballs
Savory Rye French Toast with Corned Beef Hash and Cheddar Onion Butter
Paella with Chorizo, Shrimp, Calamari, Mussels, Green Peas, and Curry Butter