Veggie Hash 2 Ways with Eggs
California Veggie Hash 2 Ways with Eggs
- 8 teaspoons Olive Oil
- non-stick Olive Oil spray
- 1/2 cup Veggie Broth
- 1 cup Sweet Onion; finely chopped
- 4 teaspoons Garlic Cloves; finely chopped
- 3 large Bell Peppers
- 1 1/2 - 2 cups Zucchini & Summer Organic Yellow Squash; diced
- 6 ounces Mushrooms
- 2 Red Potatoes
- 1 teaspoon Italian Seasoning mix
- 2 Bay Leaves
- Pinch Red Pepper Flakes
- 1 28 ounce can Diced Tomatoes (no salt added)
- Sea Salt (to taste)
- Ground Black Pepper (to taste)
- 1 large bunch of Basil
- 6 Eggs
- *1 ounce Parmesan Cheese
- 6 1/2 Wholegrain Sandwich Thins
*If you are following Simple Start, use Fat Free Cheese or count this towards your daily indulgence points
- Roast the peppers.
- Chop all ingredients for the recipe.
- Microwave diced Potatoes covered with paper towel 4-5 minutes for use later in the recipe. Meanwhile, heat 1 teaspoons Olive Oil in a cast iron pan over medium high heat until shimmering.
- Add Mushrooms and sauté until golden brown.
- Remove from pan and set aside in bowl. Add 6 teaspoons of Olive Oil to the pan and heat until pan is shimmering, add Onions and Garlic and cook, stirring, until soft, about 8 minutes then add Peppers, Squash, Bay Leaves, Basil stems, Italian Seasoning and Red Pepper Flakes, if the pans seems dry add a little Veggie Broth 2 -4 tablespoons and continue to cook until vegetables have begun to soften, about 6 minutes.
- Add Tomatoes, and Mushrooms cook covered with a lid or sheet pan if you don’t have a big enough lid, until all the Vegetables have softened and the mixture has begun to thicken, about 10-12 minutes, stirring occasionally, if the sauce seems too thick add a little broth.
- Season to taste with Salt and Pepper and turn off heat and remove Bay Leaves.
- Take half the sauce and put in sealed glass bowl, use for a dinner later in the week.
- Turn heat back on and add diced cooked Potatoes to the sauce for 6 minutes to get the potato flavor melded. Stir in half of the chopped Basil. Cover and keep warm until ready to serve. Heat your plates if you have the time to do so.
- Meanwhile heat a spray of non-stick Olive Oil spray in the cast iron skillet over medium-high heat until slightly bubbling. Add Eggs (I like to do 2 at a time) and fry until whites are set and yolk is runny. Divide sauce between the six plates. Top each plate with an Egg, grate a touch of Parmesan Cheese* and sprinkle with remaining chopped Basil.
- Serve with toasted sandwich thin halves cut into triangles to scoop up the hash, a small bowl of seasonal fruit salad with non-fat yogurt sauce or if you're in a hurry serve with a piece of cut fruit and a non-fat cappuccino!!
- How to Roast Peppers
Similar categories: Breakfast & Brunch